Help with starting a Mecha Campaign

KPhan2121

So my players and I decided that our next campaign to do would be a mecha campaign. One of my players want it to feel like an anime (she's even going as a high school student) and another wants it to be like xcom (with researching, stealing and improving technology). I feel this is an interesting combination and something BRP should excel at. The problem is where the hell do I even start? I planned to buy the BRP Mecha book, but it's not being sold anymore. Are there any other supplements/sourcebooks/tips so I can get started.

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

Start with the adventure itself, before the robots show up.  The adventurers are the high school student and her friends, associates, neighbors.  Suddenly the icky mysterious aliens arrive and everyone has to hide from the initial onslaught then waylay ground troops for nifty gear.  Work your way up to the mecha, first allowing the player-characters to overcome a small group of enemy goons (mooks?) and their more competent squad leader, defeating whatever the local scheme or conspiracy is (replacing the high school staff with robots or alien sleeper agents?).  After a few sessions like that, building X-Files or Call of Cthulhu like suspense, then let the aliens pull out their ace in the hole -- a giant robot or two.  Then give the PCs a chance to steal one and go head to head with the bad guys.

So my players and I decided that our next campaign to do would be a mecha campaign. One of my players want it to feel like an anime (she's even going as a high school student) and another wants it to be like xcom (with researching, stealing and improving technology). I feel this is an interesting combination and something BRP should excel at. The problem is where the hell do I even start? I planned to buy the BRP Mecha book, but it's not being sold anymore. Are there any other supplements/sourcebooks/tips so I can get started.

I saw a copy of BRP Mecha at Noble Knight games Wednesday. If I remember correctly it was $54. I don't know if it was used or new... You might check it out...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Start with the adventure itself, before the robots show up.  The adventurers are the high school student and her friends, associates, neighbors.  Suddenly the icky mysterious aliens arrive and everyone has to hide from the initial onslaught then waylay ground troops for nifty gear.  Work your way up to the mecha, first allowing the player-characters to overcome a small group of enemy goons (mooks?) and their more competent squad leader, defeating whatever the local scheme or conspiracy is (replacing the high school staff with robots or alien sleeper agents?).  After a few sessions like that, building X-Files or Call of Cthulhu like suspense, then let the aliens pull out their ace in the hole -- a giant robot or two.  Then give the PCs a chance to steal one and go head to head with the bad guys.

Well, the players preferred that humans start with basic mechs. One of the players is playing a cocky spiky haired ace pilot and the high school girl is the only one who can pilot an experimental mech that her dad worked on. I think another player is thinking about being an cat-person/alien refugee that warns Earth of the upcoming attack. I was wondering if there were supplements that provided stats for mechs, weapons and gear I could use beyond BRP Mecha.

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

Awesome, is there a way to buy it in pdf form?

Unfortunately with Alephtar losing their license to BRP I suspect not...  Unless Chaosium still sells the PDF which I don't think they do...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!