Offensive Sorcery (BRP0)

Tywyll

Hey,

In the new BRP, in the Sorcery system, how much is there in the way of direct damage, offensive magic? I know in Elric!, offensive magic was typically limited to 'debuff' style effects rather than something that could hurt or kill outright. Does BRP keep this distinction?

Cheers

Hey,

In the new BRP, in the Sorcery system, how much is there in the way of direct damage, offensive magic? I know in Elric!, offensive magic was typically limited to 'debuff' style effects rather than something that could hurt or kill outright. Does BRP keep this distinction?

Cheers

There are plenty of spells that can enhance weapons (technically "weapon buffs") but only a few spells directly targeting an opponent.

The magic system, however, is full of straight-damage spells.

The magic system, however, is full of straight-damage spells.

Yeah Tywyll, you're looking for the Magic/Wizardry rules which were taken from Magic World from the Worlds of Wonder boxed set.

Sorcery remains much like it was in Elric!

70/420

Yeah Tywyll, you're looking for the Magic/Wizardry rules which were taken from Magic World from the Worlds of Wonder boxed set.

Sorcery remains much like it was in Elric!

Actually, I was hoping it might have to viable (in an offensive sense) systems of magic.

See, I'm thinking of my own campaign setting which has three types of magic. Innate (Sorcery in my terms, limited in purview, like a Fire Sorcerer, or Life Sorcerer), Learned (Wizardry...more generalist, can learn all different kinds of spells, but the spells are fixed) and Divine.

For Divine, I'll probably use RQ style magic.

I'm trying to figure out which to do for the other two. The Magic rules /might/ work for Innate, but I think that RQ sorcery with its Manipulations might more fit the bill. One idea I had was to modify 'Spirit Magic' from RQ3/MRQ to be Learned Magic, since the spells are already set and don't really change except intensity, and even that is fixed once you learn it.

I don't know, how much can you manipulate spells in the new Magic rules? The WoW that I recall they just got more powerful, but I don't recall being able to affect more targets or make them last longer (though I could be wrong on that).