Divine Magic in BRP

I'm hoping someone with edition zero might be able to give me a bit of insight. Is there a system of magic in the new BRP for Divine magic. I'm looking for a way to differentiate "Priest" from "Wizards". I'd prefer not having to borrow rules from an outside source.

The "Magic World" style magic is simple enough to suit my preferred fast style of play for "Wizards" but something closer to the RQ2 "Battle Magic" is closer to what I'd like for my 'Divine" spell casters. My general thought is that Divine magic should be more reliable but less potentially powerful over all.

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

The "Magic World" style magic is simple enough to suit my preferred fast style of play for "Wizards" but something closer to the RQ2 "Battle Magic" is closer to what I'd like for my 'Divine" spell casters. My general thought is that Divine magic should be more reliable but less potentially powerful over all.

Although there isn't a "Divine Magic" system in the BRP core book per se, from your description you probably want the Sorcery rules. It's basically the spell system from Stormbringer 5: it's similar in many respects to old RQ2 Battle Magic, and in general is less powerful than BRP "Magic World" magic, and much more reliable to cast (basically, it always works, although many spells can be resisted).

There's even an entry in the Sorcery rules which states that Sorcery spells may either be "learned through study", or gifted to the caster by some divine or supernatural agent. It should work fine as a divine magic system, and it's very easy to plug in new spells as and when you need them.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Thanks!:)

I pulled out my copy of "Elric" & a copy of "The Bronze Grimoire". It looks like that just might work fine. It's been nearly 10 years since I had looked at it and I had remembered it as requiring a skill roll. With a wee bit of sorting to match spell to cult, it should be workable.

Grey

I'm in the process of adapting BRP 0 Sorcery as a system of Divine magic for Priests in a fantasy setting i'm writing up, and basically all I've done is replace the POW 16+ requirement with an Allegiance requirement (To gain spells a characters must have Allegeiance (Specific Deity) 50+ and be allied to that Allegiance) and renamed the spells to remove the word Sorcery / Sorcerer.

Cheers,

Nick

I'm in the process of adapting BRP 0 Sorcery as a system of Divine magic for Priests in a fantasy setting i'm writing up, and basically all I've done is replace the POW 16+ requirement with an Allegiance requirement (To gain spells a characters must have Allegeiance (Specific Deity) 50+ and be allied to that Allegiance) and renamed the spells to remove the word Sorcery / Sorcerer.

This sounds definitely the way to go. Allegiance was a great addition to the BRP rules, and is the variable that should be used for theist magic. I am working on a similar project (one that will become rather popular, I think), but do not want to reveal the details until I get hold of BRP1 later this month.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I've been pulling out the Elric/Bronze Grimoire books and looking them over as a place-holder until I can get the BRP book. I'll have to look over the allegiance system when I get the book, but using it in place of a 16 POW sounds like a VERY good idea.

Thanks!

Grey