SF Bay area gaming scene?

mdomino

Just a general question about the SF Bay area gaming scene- what's it like? I'm considering the possibility of a job on Mare Island on the old naval base. I play COC, Trail, Lovecraft boardgames, WFRP I & II, historical minis, etc. Are there any websites I should get familiar with? Any advice about the area is also appreciated. Thanks much.

Mike D

4 hours ago, mdomino said:

Just a general question about the SF Bay area gaming scene- what's it like? I'm considering the possibility of a job on Mare Island on the old naval base. I play COC, Trail, Lovecraft boardgames, WFRP I & II, historical minis, etc. Are there any websites I should get familiar with? Any advice about the area is also appreciated. Thanks much.

Mike D

If you can weather why 80, then I suggest you try to get down to Endgame on occasion. A fine establishment with a nice varied calendar.

SDLeary

• 1 month later...

The extended SF Bay Area is pretty big... 2h end-to-end in GOOD traffic (which is an increasingly-rare circumstance).  Mare Island is up in the extreme north/east corner of the BA; Vallejo is your nearest sizable town.  I don't know gaming in that region, unfortunately... sorry!

As noted, "Endgame" (south of Vallejo, in Oakland) is likely a good resource.  Westward, you have Gamescape North, in San Rafael; and Outer Planes, in Santa Rosa (I'm also seeing promo's for a gaming-venue called "Fundemonium" in Rohnert Park, but I don't know anything about it).  To the East is Black Diamond, in Fairfield.

Also:  if you're in the area by mid-February (12th-15th), make sure you hit DunDraCon (down in San Ramon)!

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

The extended SF Bay Area is pretty big... 2h end-to-end in GOOD traffic (which is an increasingly-rare circumstance).  Mare Island is up in the extreme north/east corner of the BA; Vallejo is your nearest sizable town.  I don't know gaming in that region, unfortunately... sorry!

As noted, "Endgame" (south of Vallejo, in Oakland) is likely a good resource.  Westward, you have Gamescape North, in San Rafael; and Outer Planes, in Santa Rosa (I'm also seeing promo's for a gaming-venue called "Fundemonium" in Rohnert Park, but I don't know anything about it).  To the East is Black Diamond, in Fairfield.

Also:  if you're in the area by mid-February (12th-15th), make sure you hit DunDraCon (down in San Ramon)!

Gamescape in San Rafael is a good store; a decent selection of product but a fairly small gaming area. Not sure about the Santa Rosa, Napa, or Fairfield/Vacaville areas. 

Black Diamond is to the east, but unless they have quietly opened a second store, then they are actually located in Concord. Their selection is decent as well, not quite as good as Gamescape. Their gaming area is larger. 680 can be as bad as 80 at times.

Games of Berkeley is also a choice, though it is located in Berkeley a couple of blocks from the UC Berkeley campus. This is both a blessing and a curse as parking is a**. They have always had a good selection. I have not seen their gaming areas personally, so cannot comment not them.

As I mentioned above, Endgame is the best (to me at least). Much harder for you to get to though. They have a great gaming area, hold different types of events (see their calendar), and an excellent staff. They are also getting ready to open a coffee shop next to their store, have a good sausage and beer place next door (though they are a little slow), a pub across the street and other good food establishments within walking distance. 

SDLeary

• Helpful 1

OK, Concord; I seem to have dropped the correct name of the Fairfield store that I *MEANT* to cite... apologies to the good folk at BD, if they're here!  In fact, Mare Island & Black Diamond are reasonably close to one another.  With a lucky location for housing, you could well be within 15-20 min's from each!  But I'm chagrined to have missed Games of Berkeley...  :P

I won't go so far as to say Endgame is the "best;" but I think they may be the most active, for gaming-outreach & eventing...

C'es ne pas un .sig