Mindmap-based scenario generator

clarence

I have played around with this simple mind mapping scenario tool for a while now: http://omjonasson.se/rollspel/nodes/

You can change the setting between Fantasy and Serenity (ie. sci-fi, not buddhism), and either generate a complete mind map at the push of a button or add random nodes/relationships as you go. Relationships and nodes are sometimes described in a few words too; just enough for creativity to kick in.

I found this to be ridiculously addictive : ) Click, see if i can make up a story, click again, new story, click again, new story…..

• Like 4

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Same here. My scenarios always start as mindmaps in a sketchbook. This little tool fits very well into my ideation phase when I need some assistance.

I have also meddled a bit with mindmap programs lately, trying to find an intermediate step between pen & paper and actual writing. Mindomo is my favorite so far: Quick and easy to use, integrates reasonably well with Evernote and creates good looking maps. I've also heard good things about Scapple, from the makers of Scrivener, but I haven't tried it yet. 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

That is a great find, thanks for posting clarence! I know I'll be using it to help me with scenario creation, even using it as a basic outline then changing it to another genre will be easy! Great source of scenario inspiration!

• Like 1

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Good to hear you like it! BTW, I saw the developer linked to "36 dramatic situations" for the short descriptions in the main node.

From Wikipedia: "The Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations is a descriptive list which was created by Georges Polti to categorize every dramatic situation that might occur in a story or performance. To do this Polti analyzed classical Greek texts, plus classical and contemporaneous French works. He also analyzed a handful of non-French authors. In his introduction, Polti claims to be continuing the work of Carlo Gozzi, who also identified 36 situations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations

• Like 1

Yes, Scrivener is truly great. I have switched to Ulysses recently though - I tired of waiting for the iPad/iPhone version. Ulysses is not as feature rich (I miss the corkboard especially) but on the other hand slightly easier to grapple. Do you use Scrivener at the gaming table too?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clarence said:

Yes, Scrivener is truly great. I have switched to Ulysses recently though - I tired of waiting for the iPad/iPhone version. Ulysses is not as feature rich (I miss the corkboard especially) but on the other hand slightly easier to grapple. Do you use Scrivener at the gaming table too?

Sort of. My favorite people to game with are scattered across the country, so I do a lot of gaming by Google Hangout these days. I have Scrivener up on my second monitor quite frequently.