Strike Ranks and Firearms

K Peterson

The BGB has some guidelines for using Strike Ranks with Modern and Futuristic firearms, buried in the equipment lists (pp 255-257). They fall under the same SR/RoF rules used by primitive and historical missile weapons. But they have never really made sense to me, or matched up well with the default Attk rules. I wonder if there's a better way to model firearms within an SR framework. (Because I like SR, the tactical grit they add, and have never used them anywhere besides in fantasy campaigns :) )

Most firearms use the 1/SR rate-of-fire, which translates as: fire on DEX SR, and then again on (DEX SR + 3), and so on until you reach SR 10. Light pistols, bolt-action rifles, and sniper rifles (for example) all use the same SR RoF which makes it seem like these buried rules were just tacked on.

Also, something else I've never understood: what the hell is 2/SR. Two shots fired at DEX SR; two more on (DEX SR + 3)?? Or a shot fired at DEX SR, and the next fired at (DEX SR + 6)??

I'd really like to write up some house rules to address the weirdness in these rules. And then try them out in traditional CoC, Delta Green, or a Scifi campaign.

It does seem difficult at times to try and get something that can be applied across the range of projectiles. Training should make a difference, but it doesn't. Someone who has never fired a musket might take a full minute to reload, where as a Prussian fusilier in Frederick's (The Great( army could get off 4,5, or maybe 6? Then in modern times, single action revolver vs. semi auto pistol... How to model Speed vs. Accuracy? And do so without adding cumbersome rules?

Thinking about it, I would think it would be better to measure in Rate of Reload )RoR) for firearms since especially with primitive firearms that makes a difference.

Firearm ROF = DEX SR then 1 SR per unaimed shot; 1 per 2 SR for aimed

Semi Auto ROF = 2/SR (although 3 round burst might suggest 3/SR) per unaimed shot; 1 per SR for aimed

Full Auto ROF = 4/SR... and can FA be considered aimed? I guess depending on the weapon... 

but the RoR would make a difference

Flintlock Musket RoR = DEX SR +10

Breech Loader RoR = DEX SR + 3

Pistol RoR = DEX SR + 6

Clip Fed Pistol = DEX SR +2

Just some thoughts based on my (limited) knowledge of guns. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

As Reign pointed out, reload time is among the most important factors for firearms. Another factor is the time it takes for you to recover from the reacoil and fire another round that is not a snapshot, which in turn depends on recoil and on your STR.

All in all, my advice would be to NOT use firearms in conjunction with the SR system. The SR system highlights size and weapon length, two factors that are completely irrelevant for firearms. It is not designed for that kind of weapon, and risks to produce clunky results.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

16 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

All in all, my advice would be to NOT use firearms in conjunction with the SR system. The SR system highlights size and weapon length, two factors that are completely irrelevant for firearms.

Size and weapon length are irrelevant when it comes bow-fire as well, which is simply based off DEX and reload time. The SR system was designed around that factor. Perhaps stretching it a little to include firearms wouldn't be impossible.

It is not designed for that kind of weapon, and risks to produce clunky results.

Potentially. Any house-ruling I do might reach the clunky mess that's currently presented in the BGB.

For me, some tactical, initiative option, somewhere between Strike Ranks, and DEX Ranks or CoC's Phases, would be nice. Something intuitive and elegant. Perhaps I'll just have to end up settling for DEX ranks in the end...

1 minute ago, K Peterson said:

Perhaps stretching it a little to include firearms wouldn't be impossible.

I have played in such modified games. And the result was far from satisfactory.

Perhaps I'll just have to end up settling for DEX ranks in the end...

This is the most likely outcome.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I have used SR system for Firearms in our Aces High campaign I ran a while back and it worked without a hitch. While it did work I do prefer the simpler DEX system. The SR for the firearms in the BGB as mentioned is very inconsistent. Especially when compared to the Atk value used in the Dex system. Aces High do contain their own weapon list so it doesn't use the weapons in BGB so many of the inconsistencies have been corrected, but on the other hand that list have other errors (not sure if it is corrected in the later editions) but I know Stuart uploaded a new list here in the download section ages ago that have much better stats with less errors that might be worth checking out for examples.