Unknown East magic

nightlamp

Apologies if this has already been asked in another thread...

The Unknown East supplement for Elric! supposedly has a more "freeform" magic system. I'm curious to learn more about this, can anyone educate me? Also-- will these rules be included in the new BRP book, or should I shell out for a copy of UE?

Apologies if this has already been asked in another thread...

The Unknown East supplement for Elric! supposedly has a more "freeform" magic system. I'm curious to learn more about this, can anyone educate me? Also-- will these rules be included in the new BRP book, or should I shell out for a copy of UE?

It's not in BRP, but I suspect it'll show up in some product before too long.

However, if you have a pressing need for it ASAP, I'd say go for Unknown East. It can be had fairly cheaply from various sources.

I notice it's $5 at Chaosium.com.

UE Magic can be lifted and ported into BRP with very, very little work. The key thing is the Spot Rule section, which helps you deal with exceptions and particular circumstances, but otherwise its a matter of combining the right sphere and rune, and investing enough MP.

It can be MP-heavy, but its meant to be. The flexibility of the system outweighs the MP cost, and a clever sorcerer will get round that.

BTW, I should warn people that a modified version of the UE magic may well appear in either Signs and Portents (the Mongoose online magazine) or a future Elric of Melnibone supplement.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I'll have to check this out.

How would it work for a primitive society where magic is intrinsic to most people, but scholarly learning is almost non-existant?

For $5 though, I could probably just find out for myself.

Not that well. Its designed to reflect a race (Melniboneans) that has superb cultural and educational maturity. You could, with some work, adapt it to fit a non-literate, primitive culture, but its not really designed to work in that way.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png