Episode 3 (Month 3) Scenario Released

A Time To Harvest Episode Three is here.

We're half way through June  - and that means Episode 3 of A Time To Harvest has now been released. Check your inboxes for the download link.

Thank you for continuing to run Call of Cthulhu for your local and online communities! We really appreciate all your efforts to introduce new people to the Chaosium Tribe. Keep those event reports flowing in!

• Like 2

I'm generally not a fan of mixing Mythos monsters in a scenario, but I like the idea that the Deep Ones were mistaken for Mi-Go experiments by FOC operatives. Makes a nice point about making assumptions.

i'm not sure how I feel about the captured Mi-Go self-identifying as "Mi-Go" on the recording. I may change that for my game because I think naming entities cheapens their effectiveness for scares. One of my players had a brief run-in with one in Cobbs Corners and the "pinkish, spidery thing unfolding its many-jointed legs and reaching towards you" has him still freaked out.

12 minutes ago, Cthulhus_Voicemail said:

I'm generally not a fan of mixing Mythos monsters in a scenario, but I like the idea that the Deep Ones were mistaken for Mi-Go experiments by FOC operatives. Makes a nice point about making assumptions.

i'm not sure how I feel about the captured Mi-Go self-identifying as "Mi-Go" on the recording. I may change that for my game because I think naming entities cheapens their effectiveness for scares. One of my players had a brief run-in with one in Cobbs Corners and the "pinkish, spidery thing unfolding its many-jointed legs and reaching towards you" has him still freaked out.

Thanks for the feedback. We can take comments like this on board and consider for the final published draft. 

3 hours ago, Cthulhus_Voicemail said:

i'm not sure how I feel about the captured Mi-Go self-identifying as "Mi-Go" on the recording. I may change that for my game because I think naming entities cheapens their effectiveness for scares.

I thought the same when I read it. If you have experienced players in the group the last thing you wanna hear is "Oh, so we are facing the Mi-Go in this one".

• Like 1

Wouldn't Mi-Go be a human term for the denizens of Yuggoth?  Many know that Lovecraft's possible source of the word is the Yeti legend of the Himalayan mountains.

There are many other names for the Yeti, depending on the local dialect.

• Migu, Migoi
  • Mi-teh
  • Mi-reh
  • Chu-reh
  • Dzu-teh
  • Meh-teh
  • Bun Manchi
  • Metoh-Kangmi

There are a few more as well.

Rather than the Mi-Go identifying itself as such, it could state something along "We've been known as Mi-reh, Dzu-teh, Metoh-Kangmi..." particularly since it was captured in the Himalayans, it would likely be familiar with the locals.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Insanity said:

Wouldn't Mi-Go be a human term for the denizens of Yuggoth?  Many know that Lovecraft's possible source of the word is the Yeti legend of the Himalayan mountains.

There are many other names for the Yeti, depending on the local dialect.

• Migu, Migoi
  • Mi-teh
  • Mi-reh
  • Chu-reh
  • Dzu-teh
  • Meh-teh
  • Bun Manchi
  • Metoh-Kangmi

There are a few more as well.

Rather than the Mi-Go identifying itself as such, it could state something along "We've been known as Mi-reh, Dzu-teh, Metoh-Kangmi..." particularly since it was captured in the Himalayans, it would likely be familiar with the locals.

I'd just leave it at  "We've been known as Metoh-Kangmi...". This can send off-track players with previous knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos...

I like this approach more than the one in the scenario.

2 hours ago, Cthulhus_Voicemail said:

A common misspelling of metoh-kangmi in the 1920s was "metch-kangmi" which is how I'd spell it in the transcript. 

I'd probably go with the interviewer saying something like "the natives of the Himalayas refer to you as the metch-kangmi. Is that your race's name?" "If you say so."

Correct.

I prefer that exchange myself as well.