CoC adventures

Belgath

Yes disregard editions as every edition uses the same stat blocks, except the 7E stat blocks which as very quick to port on the fly (and vice versa).

If you are after campaigns, then I would go for the more pulpy flavoured ones like Masks of Nylarthotep and Horror On The Orient Express. I hear that Beyond The Mountains Of Madness is also iconic, but it is currently out of print.  For pulp on a smaller scale I would also recommend the Age Of Cthulhu scenarios by Goodman Games. 

For more intense investigations I would go more purist in flavour and suggest smaller scenarios, although I'll let others recommend these titles.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I had good results with Crimson Letters; it's in the back of the 7th ed book and very flexible. If you run it as a short game, remember to increase the tension by following the haunting advice in the adventure.  It's a strong investigative adventure but increasing the sightings gives it a bit more omph.

4 hours ago, Belgath said:

I'll look in to Masks of Nylarthotep I had not heard of that one.

Surely you jest?

If not, then its kinda iconic as far as Pulp Cthilhu goes. Its a large glpbal sprawling campaign, and quite an undertaking to run. Its on many GM Bucket Lists, and some people have played Call of Cthilhu purely to run this campaign.

You probably need to check the forums out at Yog-Sottoth.com.

You will need about two years to spare to run Masks of Nylarthotep if you have monthly sessions, probably the same would go for Horror On The Orient Express.

If that sounds too much an undertaking then I highly the Age Of Cthulhu scenarios by Goodman Games. Very pulpy, yet you will kick them over in a few sessions. They are for CoC 6E, although the more recent ones are for CoC 7E.

Also any Cthulhu scenario by Oscar Rios usually has a low-pulp flavour which may be good for your tastes as well.

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Well jest picked up Masks and Orient Express. Chaosium needs better PDF file names. Will be using Mythras with LutherArkwright rules which have rules for insanity, mental illness that work vary well for CoC. LutherArkwright gets you close to what you have with Pulp Cthulhu because of the traits rules and  the LuthArkwright dependencies rules  add  another layer to the fun. 

• Like 1

Actually I almost did RQ6 rules with Pulp Era myself, but eventually just upgraded to CoC 7E, which seems that it can also portray the pulp flavour that I wanted for these adventures.

If you are definatly using RQ6/Mythras, then give the combat traits really pulpy names, and potentially throw in some Pulp Traits (maybe re-trap the Gifts mechanics), and it should run well. 

Also due to RQ6/Mythras having a big focus on hit locations, it tends to emulate gritty melee combat quite well,  so you'll need to have liberal use of the Mooks/ Rabble rules if you want to keep focus on fast paced pulp action of the 'two-fisted' flavour.

For major NPCs/Villains I would use the usual combat rules so you get your dramatic slug-fests as well.

I seem to remember Pete Nash offering suggestions on pulp martials arts traits on either this forum or the Design Mechanism forum.

I think there is a fan-made document in the downloads section of this website that has Pulp Era Professions for Legend rpg, which may port to Mythras. I cannot remember who created it, however I remember it covered all of the pulp archetypes.

But yep I agree that with a few tweaks you can do Pulp Era quite well with RQ6/Mythras.

But for myself it just made sense to go with CoC 7E as there is less to fiddle with to get the Pulp Action flavour, and I can run Cthulhu games with it straight out of the box.

I just rule that a Extreme Success is an 'Extraudinary Success', and let the outcome be a little more fantastic than usual, and that captures alot of pulp moments. With a minor adjustment to the Luck rules for particular actions I can cover Pulp Traits as well.

Now that Pulp Cthulhu has been published (digitially at least), I can see that it's basically a bag of tricks that I can cherry pick from to portray the pulp flavour that I want.

But if you prefer RQ6/Mythras then with a bit of tweaking things you can easily run a good Pulp Era game with those rules.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

A lot of the trates in LutherArkwright and Pulp Cthulhu are same or close to it so I will do as you suggested and use the Pulp Cthulhu names for them and port over the Pulp Profession names as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I have CoC 7 and Pulp Cthulhu I jest have the Mythras rules memorized so as GM jest easier to port over whatever I need from other systems. Then to memorize the new system. But I thenk that is what makes the BRP tipe of games so good is there flexibility. 

• Like 1

Been reading the PDFs. But in now looks like the physical coppy are on the way. I have to say I am excited to see the 9bl Box for Horror on the Orient Express.

The following items were shipped:

To Ship  Offer Id    Description
-------  ----------  ----------------------------
1        CHA23118PB  Masks Of Nyarlathotep
1        CHA23130-X  Horror on the Orient Express

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Belgath said:

Been reading the PDFs. But in now looks like the physical coppy are on the way. I have to say I am excited to see the 9bl Box for Horror on the Orient Express.

The following items were shipped:

To Ship  Offer Id    Description
-------  ----------  ----------------------------
1        CHA23118PB  Masks Of Nyarlathotep
1        CHA23130-X  Horror on the Orient Express

You have years worth of stuff there enjoy!

My favorite GM just got a copy of Beyond the Mountains of Madness. and says we are all doomed  and  thinks its a great module

Now  I have not   bought   the book( I don't run CoC and don't buy modules some one going o run) but its a big one.

But what   could be the problem if one dresses warmly ? Nothing live that far out in  Antarctica

• Like 1

On 10/23/2016 at 5:54 PM, Belgath said:

I like the Pulpy stuff. I have played through the 7th book adventures. Ill probably need to pick up Horror on the Orient Express. I'll look in to Masks of Nylarthotep I had not heard of that one.

These are not adventures. These are campaigns, lifestyle, full time job, etc. Ohh, I see you already got it.

Mansions of Madness is good collection of short adventures.

Edited by jux