Want to start playing again

matt1224

Hello all,

It's been around 15 years since I've played a decent game of Call of Cthulhu. My wife has said that she wants to start playing, this has lead me to start researching what I need and I've honestly become more confused than enlightened. Last time I played/GM'd was oaround the 5.6.1 Edition. Can you guys offer me some help as to what I should look into getting in order to a basic game going with some friends and my wife. Sorry if this seems redundant or silly. It's obviously been awhile since I've been in this space.

Thanks

-Matt

Edited by matt1224

Although nothing would stop you from playing the prior version of the game, with which you're familiar. The new 7th edition differs enough from what came before that it is the first that requires conversion to use the catalog of materials that have been produced over the years. Everything is available from the second-hand marketplace, with many vendors still selling new copies. I find all of the earlier material completely compatible regardless of publication year (up to today's 7th edition, of course). If you need any advice or help let me know. For instance, I wrote up a simple mystery scenario to introduce my wife and daughter to the mechanics, and I'd be happy to share that with you.

If the massive 7e ruleset doesn't suit, prior editions are probably still available on the used market.   Doh'!  Ninja'ed on this point by th'Baron!

Also, there are a LOT of alternate eras/genres for the Mythos -- Delta Green for a modern special-forces-vs-Mythos take, or The Laundry (xref the Charles Stross stories) for horror/spy gaming, Cthulhu Invictus in old Rome, Clockwork & Cthulhu in the Renaissance, CthulhuTech (a Mythos/Mecha/Cyberpunk mashup), etc.

Edited by g33k
Ninja'ed

C'es ne pas un .sig

I still have all of my 5.6.1 books/materials in storage. I definitely want to look into 7e though. I downloaded the quick start rules and printed them out. I'll be going over then tonight. However, if 5.6.1 can still be used; I think I might use that for now to at least have her get the basics down. @Baron I want to thank you for offering to help. I will be contacting you soon, if you wouldn't mind.

You might like to try the FREE solo scenario Alone Against The Flames (see same page where you downloaded the Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start at Chaosium.com

The solo teaches you the rules as you play and you could use this to also introduce your partner by acting a Keeper with the book.

7th edition is intended to be a bit more user-friendly in introducing new players to the system, and remains backwards compatible with all previous Call of Cthulhu material. 

On 3/29/2017 at 5:11 AM, Mike M said:

You might like to try the FREE solo scenario Alone Against The Flames (see same page where you downloaded the Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start at Chaosium.com

The solo teaches you the rules as you play and you could use this to also introduce your partner by acting a Keeper with the book.

7th edition is intended to be a bit more user-friendly in introducing new players to the system, and remains backwards compatible with all previous Call of Cthulhu material. 

Thanks @Mike M, I went ahead and bought Hardback copy of 7E. I also have the PDF, I'm wondering if there would be any copyright issues if I were to print the PDF at home for personal use?

12 hours ago, matt1224 said:

Thanks @Mike M, I went ahead and bought Hardback copy of 7E. I also have the PDF, I'm wondering if there would be any copyright issues if I were to print the PDF at home for personal use?

Matt - for personal use that's fine (assume you are printing out reference stuff etc. - it'd be cheaper to buy the print copy than print out the whole PDF, what with paper and ink costs!) 

12 hours ago, Mike M said:

Matt - for personal use that's fine (assume you are printing out reference stuff etc. - it'd be cheaper to buy the print copy than print out the whole PDF, what with paper and ink costs!) 

I bought the print copy yesterday. I have a continuous ink system so it costs me about 2 cents per page. I'm thinking about it just to have a backup in case someone else in my party wants to look at it or something.

Edited by matt1224