Lunar Diaries.

Pentallion

Diary entries from our Lunar campaign (except Skef, who can't write, those are his thoughts):

"Two Blue Moon assassins, a worshipper of Fjordaur, some other dark troll and an Eolian.  As if that weren't bad enough, they're saddling my caravan with that crazy Jakaleel witch!  Assassins or not, this group is going to attract trouble.  I'll be amazed if we make it to the Sporewood.  The Red School be damned!"  -Cedi Scruples, 1621 Gerraday week 20

"We kept hearing his whistle all day, but we never saw him.  We named him The Whistler.  We don't know who he is, but he killed the White School assassins before we could reach our target.  We don't know what he was after, but we managed to accomplish the mission despite him." -Jon Rain 1621 Gerraday week 22.

"For some reason, Razza can be heard talking to the strange book she got from those sorcerers. Late into the nights on our journey down to the Moon boat...shes not sleeping, eating, or even leaving her palanquin. Something is wrong, I need to get her back home...before...before this gets worse. -Nymphia Khan 1621 Lesliday week 30

"I regret coming with these people.  Still, I must discover why I'm so important to the troll.  She saw something in my destiny and it stayed her hand.  When I get back to the delta I will summon Fox and Owl.  Perhaps they will be able to enlighten me.  Until then, I fear for my sanity after what I've seen."  Skef, 1621 Zayday week 37

• Like 9

"It has been a long and arduous journey to the Moonboat. It has been nearly a week since Firshala descended and set fire to the Sporewood and all who oppossed us that day. Firshala's power was...terrifying. But what has me troubled is of course, Razza. Her obsession with that wretched book has not wavered, though she seems to be spending an increasing amount of time with Jon Rain...a worrisome development in its own right. She gets lost in spouting gibberish, but if you ask her slaves, they swear she is communing with demons...I would do anything for Razza, but I do not know if I can keep her safe from this. Deezola, please guide the way to protect my little sister...Hopefully when we return home, Our Lady Jakaleel will be able to help her once more." -Nymphia Khan journal entry- Road to the Moonboat

"Did you know your sister has a birthmark on her left buttock? It reminds me of a duck." - Jon Rain

• Like 3

On 5/27/2017 at 11:22 PM, Evilroddy said:

Interesting entries, but they suffer from a lack of context.

They do "suffer" from lack of context... alternatively, they are evocative and allow the reader to bring much more of their own vision/inspiration; on the Gripping Hand, a certain emergent vision occurs when enough of these snippets get collected...  I'm sure there are other ways to approach this sort of material, too.

YMM(as ever)V

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Things took an incredibly unexpected turn for the worse tonight.  As the GM, I could only look on in shock, but honestly, everyone acted in accordance to their character.  But with this group, that isn't always a good thing.  Having been sold into slavery, they find themselves free, but on an unknown island near Palmatela.  And then it was Fjordaur's holy day and Jon decided he had to kill.....

Looking back on my fun adventuring days of a caravan seem so far away. I recall the group when they all first met. The two Trolls ordered to serve me by Bina Bang and the glorious arena In which they fought the fabulous fighter who grappled his way to the top. The other troll and his strange obsession with spiders. The splendid days of traveling to see the giants in search of treasure and all the wonderful things I saw. The sad day in which some of those treasures were eaten by gorps. Oh and the steamy nights with a ghostly lover. Ahh yes that wonderful week of bliss in his arms. The happy moment when I first realized I was pregnant and going to raise a great kahn. Then a burning hatred when I was betrayed by Jon Rain. The feeling of pain as the air escaped my lungs not to return. Fear and desperation as I fought savagely for my freedom. The quick hit to his skull and yet the air still out of reach. The fear overwhelming as I ran for help. The sweet salvation given to me by my dear friend Bertha. The relief quick to vanish as I saw them tending to the attempted murderer. Rage overwhelming  my mind a voice screaming in my head " LET HIM DIE". My rage overpowering all my senses attacking all who would help. Still shaking with the rage I felt. I passed back and forth. Saying to myself " Be calm, you're okay, your baby is well". My Dear little one I calmed a little thinking of the life beating within me. Think of the group of betrayers all of them. A thought pops Into my mind. The baby's father and the book the sorcerer lent the Witch. A year will go by and she has to return the book. How will he react when he learns that Jon tried to kill me and our child and then Nymphia protected him, helped him. Will he be as enraged as I am? Will he be able to take revenge on those that would harm me and our child? I fell into a deep sleep thinking that their punishment will be longer than they ever imagined. - Cedi, Veriday 3, 1622

" The night's air has a bitter chill to it this evening, but it is still a night free of chains. High tension mounts in our band as we make our way across this detestable island in search of that pirate bastard. My precious sister was struck down by one of our own...the troll Bertha who my sister swore to protect...I was attacked by the merchant and then for SOME reason, my goddess intervened on HER behalf...my faith has been shaken...we need to get off this island. I know my sister insists that she is fine, but the blood debt between Bertha and my family still stands,...I am torn, do I honor my sister's wish or pay heed to the burning fury that fills my mind every time i think back to the moment Bertha smashed the life out of my little sister...we have to get off this island." -Nymphia Khan-Somewhere on the island

"Someone had to end the fight.  It's going to take all of us to get off this island and I knew she wouldn't stay dead.  Sure enough, she walks amongst us still."  - Bertha

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 1

Pentallion:

More interesting entries as the perplexing story unfolds through the keyhole. Thanks again for sharing. In the spirit of editorial help and not because I am a pedantic pain in the butt (which I regrettably am) there is a your which should be a you're in the line, "Be calm, your okay, your baby is well". I'm sorry but I'm a teacher and I just can't help myself sometimes. Please forgive my unhealthy compulsion to correct and my inexplicable fascination with red ink pens! Mea culpa.

Cheers and good gaming.

Evilroddy.

16 hours ago, Evilroddy said:

Pentallion:

More interesting entries as the perplexing story unfolds through the keyhole. Thanks again for sharing. In the spirit of editorial help and not because I am a pedantic pain in the butt (which I regrettably am) there is a your which should be a you're in the line, "Be calm, your okay, your baby is well". I'm sorry but I'm a teacher and I just can't help myself sometimes. Please forgive my unhealthy compulsion to correct and my inexplicable fascination with red ink pens! Mea culpa.

Cheers and good gaming.

Evilroddy.

No problem.  I actually edit all their misspellings and correct any misconceptions when I post them.  That one got away from me.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, Evilroddy said:

Pentallion:

How did your party get from freemen in Dagori Inkarth to slaves on an Island off Palmatela in such short order? I think I have narrative whiplash! This sounds fascinating.

Cheers and good gaming.

Evilroddy.

That was actually quite funny.  Just a day out of Moonbroth, they ran into a merchant.  He had alcohol and food for sale.  Azibo, I think it was,  wanted mass quantities of both and announced a party for their successful journey so far.  The booze was drugged and after all but a couple of them had passed out, - they even had a drinking contest, I didn't even have to break a sweat - the Jack O'Bears came out and harmonized the rest.  Slave collared, they were sold to a certain monster slaying ship captain in Corflu who was headed to an island in Palmatela where he sought to slay monsters.  I'm taking certain liberties with the NPCs as written.  Gondo doesn't sac them to Cacodemon, Monsterslayer isn't just about slaying sea monsters, etc.  Arriving at the island, the captain and many of his crew left to explore the interior, taking almost all the PCs belongings with them.  When the captain never returned and many of the crew left to guard the ship came down with disease spirits, the PCs got free.  Now they've found the remains of Monsterslayer, recovered most,  if not all, of their belongings, picked up a thing or two along the way and who knows what will happen next. 

There is a secret about this group that I'm not sharing on this website, but will be revealed at the end of the campaign to the players as well.  Some of the players are in on the secret.  It's a doozie is all I can say.  This campaign is about the Lunar civil war between the White and Red moons.  The war that ends up on the moon itself and culminates in the death of the Red Emperor.  There's a war going on inside some of the characters and there's definitely a war developing within the group.  So I'm quite pleased that they're fracturing just like their empire.

Not actually a diary entry, but thought I'd share this:

Also a little excerpt after all hell broke loose last night and Cedi is sitting looking at her destroyed arm Bertha comes by and sits down next to her and says"Dont worry I lose limbs all the time". Cedi looks appalled... contemplating her life choices.

In addition after the fight Cedi goes up to Skef and says "thank your god for intervening, if you become a woman I know of a potion that will change you back possibly to a man. I got it from the dark elves that we traded with a while ago. Unless that Monster slayer guy drank it in which case we might actually be looking for a woman...."

And some in house player discussion:

its not Stockholms Syndrome its Traumatic Bonding In which a person forms an unnatural bond to an abuser. In a vicious cycle of violence and then kindness. From this perspective Cedi was befriended by Jon then he tried to kill her, then he protected her, then assisted in grappling her to the ground and letting someone nearly cut out her eye, even if it was what she thought she wanted. Then he goes and jumps off a cliff to save her. All the while constantly whispering in her ear "You're my favorite".   She then dies anyway and has Razza - Jons supposed lover - resurrect her while carving runes into her flesh.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 3

Wow! What else can be said. Just wow. This sounds like quite the dysfunctional party and reads like Fifty Shades of Rufelza!. That's quite the psycho-drama you have ticking away there. And that must be some secret driving several party members. I hope that when it all comes out the the blood-soaked, dirty laundry of your campaign that you share it here too. I am intrigued. Game on!

Cheers and good gaming.

Evilroddy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Summertime took its toll on our campaign and we haven't gotten in a good game in a while.  So I thought I'd get the group worked up by posting a trailer.  It's something I've done a handful of times before and everyone seems to like it.  So think of this as a movie trailer for Lunar Diaries, season 2.

Someone whistling slowly.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyvQWsLYJK4

Skef in meditation before a megalith.
A woman's voice narrates: {Secrets can take on a life of their own}
Bina Bang before the PCs. "Befriend the Coders. Gain Count Julan's trust. I want you to be indispensable to him...."
Count Julan before a battle map of the empire, raising his voice to the Red Emperor. "Argrath to the south. Pent invaders to the east. Divinations that soon the Ban will be lifted and bull riders will pour out of the west. We must end these destructive Dart Wars or the Empire will fall!"
Bina Bang: "...and when the time is right, betray him."
The Vampire Legion, hissing and screamiing.

whistling at normal speed

A wind kicks up around Skef as he meditates before the Megalith
[Secrets can take your life}
Bina Bang sends all but Bertha and Clarice away. "Once you've completed your mission, kill the others."
Cedi treading warily into a dark hallway when a hand grabs her by the throat and a voice whispers "you're STILL my favorite."
Nymphia steps into a darkened room. "Razza?" Razza replies softly, "Razza's not here."
Azibo fends off members of the vampire legion with her maul as she backs away.
Wyvern Riders fly into battle against two dragons in a storm.
Jon Rain is riding a moonbeam to the red moon.

whistling picks up speed.

Skef is surrounded by fire,rain, blasting winds, the earth shakes and darkness descends on him and the megalith.
[this secret can save. Do you want to know what it is?]
Count Julan yelling "This is madness!"  The Red Emperor replies with a mad laugh "It is madness to defy the Red Goddess!"
Nymphia "Who are you?" Razza "Who am I? Who am I? Who are you?"
A tornado rips away vampires and dragons.
Razza, masked and cloaked, rides hard on her demon steed, laughing maniacally.
Skef: "You know, don't you? What did you see?" Azibo:"You must fulfill your destiny and when you do..."
On a battlefield, Cedi knocks her son down before he's struck by the Moonsword of Jar-Eel the Razoress.

Dragons are approaching the city where the PCs watch in dismay.
The PCs stand upon the Red Moon.
Azibo "...You must fulfill it again."
Skef and the megalith become incandescent and then the shaman vanishes.
[Do you dare to learn my secret?}
Jon Rain, creeping down the alley "here puppy, puppy puppy." A dog growls.

whistling, very slowly.

Which seems to have done the trick because they all showed up to game last night.  Their arch nemesis is an assassin known as The Whistler and he has an invisible dog for an allied spirit.  So the whistling and the last scene about "here, puppy, puppy, puppy" got them psyched. In their last run in with him, he nearly out played them and caused Azibo to gain a curse - and caused Bertha to leave Azibo to die - and that has precipitated a dangerous Heroquest.   They also liked Razza developing a split personality, which is what happens when she gains her own allied spirit.  Speaking of which, Razza's path to insanity is being set in motion and soon approaches and so I present another diary:

Upon returning to Joy's Rest Razza approaches Nymphia, " Sister...I...I must go now. The Spindle Hags need to show me something....I don't know how long I will be, but I know we need it."   Razza looking down sheepishly at her feet, Not wanting to see the disappointment in her sister's eyes. "I trust you Razza, and I will always love you, no matter what." Nymphia replies while embracing her sister. "Besides, its probably best for you to get some distance from Jon, I do not really like the influence he has had on you." Razza looking up at her sister puzzled, " What do you mean?" "Nothing Razza, nothing." and the sisters are silent for a while before they break their embrace.

Oh, I suppose I should fill in the gaps as I just realized when I last posted they were still on Loral.

So they got off Loral.  They made it back to Pavis and from there returned the book to the wizard at Orathorn.  Cedi was abducted by Pentans and gave birth to her son, whom the Pentans call the Golden Arrow (unbeknownst to Cedi, he is the vessel that will one day host the returned Sheng Seleris).  Cedi spends two years with the Pentans, raising her child.  The others journeyed back to the Empire and returned a powerful, lost artifact to the Red Emperor and got in his good graces.  They were sent on a Dart War that was being manipulated by the mysterious Whistler and nearly caused a city to fall to Pentan invaders. During the battle, they managed to cross paths with Cedi and rescued her from the Pentans.  Her baby is still in their clutches, however.   The Whistler tricked Azibo into getting cursed to kill their client whom they are ordered to protect and so in order to carry out the mission, Bertha left Azibo to die. That was hilarious.  She convinced Azibo that in a dried up well she could find a clue to remove her curse.  None of us understood the logic, but by a flimsy thread she managed to convince Azibo, who climbed down into the well.  Bertha then nailed shut the lid of the well and left Azibo to die.  After the mission was successful, they rescued Azibo.   Now Azibo is forced into a desperate HQ to remove the curse so she will not feel compelled to kill their client.  Meanwhile two other HQ's begin which will intersect with hers and each others.  Skef has become a shaman and returned to Eol.  He rescued Firshala early on in the campaign but does not see her as a goddess, he sees her as an aspect of Fiery Fox.  The Eolians worship the five elements as great spirits. FireFox, Slippery Otter, Raven, Reindeer and Horned Owl.  Though Firshala tells it one way, Skef sees it as Raven tricked FireFox into being trapped inside a megalith.  Since megalith's are central to Eolian beliefs and magic, he is trying to explore this link.  This aspect of Firefox opened up new magics.  Perhaps there are similar aspects of the other great spirits that may unlock new secrets as well.

Last night all the PC's except Skef who is in Eol, and Razza, who is in training, went on an epic 3 way heroquest.  (3 Heroquests which intersect in interesting ways, allowing them to quest solo yet assist each other in critical junctures.)  A 4th HQ may involuntarily be invoked which could ultimately cut short the other three, rescuing one or more questors, but leaving some trapped in Hell.  It's dangerous and they made it about halfway through last night.  Azibo is performing a variation of the Web Quest.  Jon Rain and Cedi are performing a variation of the Hellmouth Quest in which Jon kills Cedi to open the gate and inside he is now searching for a piece of her shattered heart.  If he finds it and successfully brings her back from Hell, the piece of her heart will form a bond which, whenever Cedi dies, will bring her back from Hell within 2 days.  This will have serious side effects neither of them are aware of, but which Azibo is aware of and is why she talked them into going on this quest.  If the quest succeeds, Cedi basically can't stay dead so that's her motivation for going (though she was unaware that she would be sacrificed on the quest, she mistakenly believed it would make her safe from Jon).  Jon basically can murder her to his twisted hearts content and she'll always come back to him, so that's his motivation for going (in his mind, the lunar cycle of death and rebirth being reenacted each time he kills her is proof of their eternal, undying love).  Meanwhile, Bertha is guarding their sacred ground from chaos while Clarice goes on Elovare's Blue Moon Quest.  What she learns from Annilla will change everything.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 3

A little background on these characters:

Nymphia and Razza are sisters.  Noble born, Nymphia worships Deezola, but her violence is frowned upon by the cult.  There are those who say she doesn't belong and should be excommunicated.   Razza cuts herself, carving runes into her arms.  Nymphia uses her empathic healing to remove Razza's scars and take them upon herself.  Razza worships Jakaleel the Witch.  The trolls think Razza is holy.

Skef is an eolian shaman.  He has a spell which allows him to know a secret possessed by the target.  All he knows of Azibo is that the troll has seen Skef's destiny.  So he followed Azibo to try and learn more.  Now he's returned to his homeland to discover new secrets.

Azibo is a troll worshipper of Aranea.  Her Fate rune sometimes gives her glimpses of people's destinies.  She knows what is to become of Skef and recently has foreseen Cedi's role in the Great Spider's plans.  The Jakaleel Witch is marked by the gods, but even Azibo cannot see her fate.

Clarice and Bertha are Blue Moon assassin trolls belonging to the Red School.  Bertha is especially ruthless.  They are inseparable.  They answer only to Bina Bang.

Jon Rain also belongs to the Red School.  He worships Fjordaur, the lunar god of Murder. He's a psycho killer who is very charismatic.  He is Razza's lover, but calls Cedi his favorite, though there is no physical connection.

Cedi Scruples is an Etyries merchant.  She's gotten a bum deal in this campaign.

Edited by Pentallion

• 1 month later...

Again, long time between posts.  A lot has happened to my dysfunctional band of heroes.  I use the last word loosely.  Two years have passed.

Cedi has died once more since Jon completed his quest and she returned to his side 3 days later.  Unbeknownst to Jon, she harbors a burning desire to kill him.  I gave her a special form of death rune (more than a passion to kill Jon, it's also a passion to let people die) and each time she dies and comes back, that dark part of her grows and the rune increases.  Keener Than betrays Ethilrist, Sheng betrays Argrath and Cedi will betray Jon Rain.  In order to do this, Cedi has convinced Jon to train her in the ways of Fjordaur.  She's now an initiate of the God of Murder as well as an Etyries merchant.

The trolls have declared themselves enemies of the Empire, but the Blue Moon trolls continue to provide their services and have made no statement whatsoever.  Secretly, however, Bina Bang has ordered the PCs to befriend Count Julan the Coder and await orders to betray him.  Bina Bang also ordered Clarice and Bertha to then kill the rest of the party members.

Razza has a split personality named Azzar.  It is her allied spirit for becoming a Spindle Hag.  Azzar has taken the chaos rune and prefers to summon Hellmount, her demon steed.  Razza, as always, is meek and peaceful.

Nymphia was summoned by the Great Sister.  She alone is privy to Sister's plan to enact Hon-Eels rites and sacrifice her brother, the Red Emperor.  Nymphia is central to these plans.  She tells no one, especially her sister Razza, who would object.

Skef is a shaman now and learned from Raven the secret of reaching the hidden place within the megaliths.  Raven did this to save Fiery Fox, whom others call Firshala, from the coming Dark Age.  Skef seeks to become a High Shaman so that he can teach other shamans the secret way and one day save all Eolians from the end of the world.

Azibo has changed dramatically.  One day Skef came across a strange spirit in the Otherworld.  He kept it and showed it to Azibo.  Azibo saw that  the spirit held her doom and being a shaman of Aranea, she allowed the spirit to passively possess her.  Now she feels a burning rage inside and sometimes cannot control it.  She terrifies the others when she goes into her berserk rages, but so far Skef has been able to control her.

During this time, they've been working for the Count and gaining his trust.  He sent them on a heroquest in which they - well, Cedi actually - made a pact with the river Styx to call upon her aid should they face vampires.  They suspect a rift between Julan and the Red Emperor and figure this has something to do with the Vampire Legion.  The pact with Styx means Cedi can call upon her aid one time, but that she can then pass on the oath to her son who also may call upon the Styx aid one time.  (in the future, at the Battle of Moralisor, her son will use this power to help Argrath get past the Vampire Legion and kill the Red Emperor, whom Sheng Seleris then eats). 

And so that brings us to last night...

Count Julan had been summoned to the Red Emperor to discuss battle plans.  He suspected treachery so Jon Rain had disguised himself to appear as the Count while Bertha and Clarice secretly escorted Julan to the Emperors HQs.  Razza, however, said she wanted no part of the violence and stayed behind.  As expected, assassins struck the Counts retinue as they passed through the city.  The PCs moved to stop them.    After the others had gone, Razza began to argue with herself.  Her friends might need her,  Azzar said.  But there would be killing and the White Moon seeks peace, Razza softly replied.  Yessss, Azzar agreed, there will be much killing.  Razza bowed her head and when she raised it again, her features had changed dramatically.  An evil grin spread across her face.  She called upon Hellmount and soon was speeding towards the town upon her demon steed, laughing madly.

Jon Rain relaxed his grip upon the dead assassins throat and looked out from the rooftop to see chaos had erupted in the streets.  In the distance, Azibo roared in rage.  Several more assassins appeared on nearby roofs.  They'd be targeting their spells at him, thinking he was the Count.  Suddenly, he saw Razza streaking down the main street upon her demon steed.  That would be Azzar he thought to himself.  A strange thing happened then.  The assassins all turned their attention on Razza, hurling their Shatter spells at her from above.  Razza slumped over and Hellmount must have taken over the rider for she did not fall from the horse.  Instead, a crack opened up before them and Hellmount leaped into it as it closed behind him.  He'd taken Razza straight to Hell.

Later, after the assassins had been driven off and the Count had returned from his meeting with the Red Emperor, the Count had resurrected one of the dead.  They wrenched the truth from him.  It was the Red Emperor who had hired them to kill Julan.  But Skef saw he was keeping a secret.  Julan hadn't been their primary target.  Their true mission was to kill the Jakaleel witch.  He did not know why.

"Some say that our Fate is predestined, but that is not completely true.  Humans have free will and the power to change their fates.  Those that do are like loose strands, dangling from the spiders web.  The web stays strong despite this.   But if you untangle certain knots, key knots, then large portions, perhaps even the entire web, will come apart, to be blown away by the winds of change.  That, we must not allow to happen.  Jon Rain was supposed to die...."  Azibo, 1628

I suppose as GM I am allowed to post a diary too.

"They're a strange lot, these Blue Mooners.  I did not trust them all, but the woman Cedi I have come to trust with my life.  There's something about her.  The things she's seen in her travels are reflected in the sadness I see in her eyes.  She's lost something and she seeks it.  Innocence?  A lost love?  I do not know but I hope she finds it someday.  I was glad it was her that gave the Oath to the river Styx.  I fear the Red Emperor has gone mad and for reasons I do not understand, sees me as a threat.  Tomorrow the Emperor has given me the "honor" of going into battle at his side. I feel safer knowing she is by my side".  the last journal entry of Count Julan, 1628

I'll never forget the day my third life ended.  The fear that knotted in my gut knowing my son was with the Pentians on the other side of the battlefield.  Watching as the invaders were driven back, every fiber of my being screamed I have to save him.  Torn, knowing that the moment I would be free to find him would be the moment of my betrayal.  Finally, the Emperor turned on Julan and sent his Vampire Legion upon us.  The look of realization on the Counts face when he turned to me and  I told him, my mouth suddenly dry "They have my son." will haunt me forever.  He was a good man and deserved better.  Later, when I stood between Jar-Eel and my son and she cut me down, I knew I deserved it."  Cedi, 1628

"Bertha has always been a stone cold killer, but even I was shocked that day she let Azibo die so we could complete our mission.  Not as shocked as today, however, when I told her Bina Bang would be very displeased that we'd let the others live and she replied "#$%@ Bina Bang, Cedi is my friend."  Clarice, 1628

"I sometimes wonder, did I come back because Jon holds a piece of my shattered heart or did I come back because I hoped that somehow, my son still lived?  I know my heart is still my own because I felt it leap with joy when the butterfly came to me and delivered its message.  Someone was holding my child prisoner.  Their price:  Bring Jon Rain to Jarabuli in time for Fjordaurs High Holy Day. Jon Rains life for the life of your son."   Cedi 1628

The Whistler had Cedi's child and the two of them walked into his ambush.  All I can say is it was an epic fight and even though afterwards it was very late and we all needed to sleep, everyone kept going on about it for another hour.

"Last evening my good friend Cedi and I went out for a night on the town.  We met a most excellent gentleman, who I must say is quite the accomplished whistler, and his little dog.  During our encounter the man who likes to whistle tripped and almost fell, in a fit of herioc gesture I tried to arrest his fall with my trusty silk cord.  His fine little canine companion took my attempt at succor as an attack and started to nip at my heels.  When Cedi saw this she tried to intervene, unfortunately her silk cord got caught on my neck and was broken by my virulent manhood.  Unfortunately the nice gentlemen was never able to recover from his misstep, his dog however did not stop.  The little beastie was able to bite my little finger so I could no longer hold my own silken cord.  Unbeknownst by many mine own cord has a life of its own, upon seeing what happened to Cedi's cord it took it upon itself to call a moonbeam and begged me to ascend.  What can you do but obey the ones you love?" Jon Rain speaking to Lunar authorities about the murder of the man known only as The Whistler. 1628

No one knew, but long ago the man now known as The Whistler had been an entertainer.  His ventriloquism wowed the audience as he performed with his pet, Sparky the Wonder Dog.  Then one day he'd caught his lover with another man.  As his hands wrapped around her throat squeezed the last breathe out of her he gave his newfound devotion to Fjordaur, the God of Murder.  After many such killings, he'd been rewarded with an allied spirit - an allied demon actually - that took the form of his favorite pet.  Now The Whistler and Sparky the Wonder Dog were the most feared assassins in the Lunar Empire.

Every High Holy Day, the worshippers of Fjordaur played a little game of Hide and Seek where they were to kill one of their own members with either their bare hands or the silken cords.  This keeps the cult small, yet talented.  Jon Rain, of course, intended to kill Cedi, since she could not stay dead.  Cedi, however, had other plans. 

The red moon shined brightly the night they entered the sleeping city of Jarabuli.  The two of them chatted quietly as they slipped down the empty streets.  It was Cedi who heard the whistling.  She recognized the tune.

"Dear Goddess, I know I have strayed from our path lately, but please give my feet swiftness and I promise you, after I am done here, I will return to the paths we used to walk together."  Cedi prayed.  The Goddess heard her prayer and Cedi quickly sped away from Jon and climbed upon a nearby rooftop.  Taking her cue, Jon quickly climbed upon another rooftop and scanned the streets below.   Cedi reached into her pouch and pulled out a small vial.  This stuff better work, she whispered to herself and she downed the poison antidote.  Then she brought out the paralytic poison she purchased and spread it on her silken cord.  She knew she was no match for Jon and hoped this would give her the advantage.

In the shadows below, The Whistler spoke telepathically to Sparky.  "Distract the girl so I can find Jon Rain."  Sparky grunted and began to sing.

Cedi heard the song wafting from the street below, but she could not see who was singing it.  The words, however, stung her soul.

"When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live", you know you did, you know you did, you know you did.  But then this ever changing world in which we live in made you give in and cry.... and say "live and let die!"

Moments later, she heard Jon Rain leap from his perch and the sound of struggle somewhere down one of the alleyways below.  She quickly sped off to find him.   Amazingly, Jon Rain had gotten the better of The Whistler and had his silk cord tightly around his throat.   A spell flew past Cedi as she ran towards them and she spun to find Sparky the Wonder Dog racing to save his Master.  She took a swipe at him but the dog easily sidestepped it as it shot past her.  By the time she got there, the Whistler had fallen to his knees.  Sparky was ripping into Jon, but Jon wore a magic cloak that protected him from the dogs abnormally long claws and vicious fangs.

Cedi ignored the dog and stepped behind Jon Rain, slipping her own silk cord over his head and around his neck, knowing the poison would quickly take effect.  At least, she tried, but the cord caught on something on his helm and she pulled too hard upon it and the cord broke.

(Don't fumbles just suck?  This one was a game changer.)

Cedi screamed in rage and tried to strangle Jon, but the Whistler had fallen dead at his feet and he easily broke free of Cedi's feeble attempts to choke him.  Just then, however, the demon dogs claws finally found flesh and Jon screamed in agony as his left arm was left shredded and useless hanging by his side.  Sparky would have fallen upon him and finished him right then, but no way was Cedi letting the dog steal her kill so she lashed out at it and it turned her attention upon her.

As its claws ripped away the tendons and scraped the bones of her own left arm she realized she may have made a fatal mistake.

"I had both the bastards who killed my Master at my mercy.  Strangle me now bitch I snarled as I advanced for the kill.  Then I heard it, distant, yet clear.  I knew immediately from whence the call came.  My Master's whistle.  It wasn't his here boy, I've got a treat whistle, it was his get your ass down here, we've got someone to kill whistle.  I spared not another instant on my prey, but turned and dashed straight to my Master.  Straight to Hell."  Sparky the Wonder Dog, from his autobiography, It's a Dog's Life, 1630

Cedi and Jon both slipped in and out of consciousness.  Jons allied spirit in his silken cord cast Moonwalk upon him.  Cedi drank from several healing potions, then got up and tried to strangle Jon again.  He awoke, however, and cast her off of him in a heroic effort, then crawled away upon a moon beam.  She tried to pull him down but only succeeded in hurting herself as she fell from some height.  Jon had gotten away.

"Jon Rain was supposed to die, but despite her murderous intent, something stayed Cedi's hand.  She could have easily removed his cloak while he lay there helpless. Instead, in her fury she tried to strangle him with her bare hands and the cloak protected him.  I believe deep down inside, Cedi didn't really want Jon to die.  Her free will won out.  Or his power over her was greater.  Who knows?  But the knot is untangled and Aranea help all of us, the winds of change are coming."  Azibo, 1628

Razza finally awoke.   She was laying upon Hellmane.  As she looked around she saw nothing but ruin and devastation.  "where am I?"

"But Master," I protested, "you're dead."  "What greater glory," replied my Master, "than to die in the service of Fjordaur?  I promised our Lord that I'd go to Hell and back if that's what he commanded.  Come boy, our Lord wishes to see to it that someone stays dead."  Sparky the Wonder Dog, from his autobiography It's a Dog's Life, 1630

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those who were curious what the great secret that some of the players knew I give you the finale of our campaign.  This would have worked wonderfully if they'd kept making diaries, but sadly, they never took much to the diaries.  Anyways, in the end, they fought the Dart Wars on the moon and finally located the Red Emperor.  He had divined that Nymphia was to be his doom and so he made sure to kill her her as soon as possible.  While Azibo and his spider kept the Full Moon Corps bodyguards at bay, the rest rushed the emperor.  Jon Rain and Cedi, however, had agreed with their murderous god to kill Nymphia, however, when she fell, they turned on the Emperor instead.

For reasons that will become clear below, having dealt with Nymphia, the Emperor then turned on the others, whom he greatly outclassed.  They soon realized they were doomed unless Nymphia stood back up again because she had the spear that would ignore all magical defenses and if she hit with it, it would be 15 minutes before that person could cast spells again.  And all the players except the one who played Nymphia and Razza knew the secret:  there was no Razza.  She was a split personality inside Nymphia's head the entire campaign and her player didn't know it.  Nymphia believed in Razza so much that she could literally resurrect herself, believing her "sister" had done it.  This is why the trolls all thought the Jakaleel witch was holy.

So the Red Emperor didn't realize he'd just turned his back on her to his great peril.

The Death of the Red Emperor

The Red Emperor stood exultant in victory as Nymphia rose from the dead behind him. Far away, the Great Sister danced and weaved as she performed Hon-Eels rites, her glowing red dagger tracing runes across the night sky. Nymphia struck with her spear, it's blade ignoring all magical defenses striking the Red Emperor from behind and annihilating his ties to magic
At that moment the Great Sisters blade came down in a slashing motion and severed the Red Emperor's connection to the moon.

Phargentes whirled on Nymphia, prepared to strike his attacker down. His eyes registered shock at the sight of his attacker. Then widened as he realized his Goddess had forsaken him.

The illusion of the grand palace vanished. Everyone suddenly found themselves standing on the rocky face of the Red Moon.

Phargentes began to rise from the ground. Flailing helplessly, he cried out in horror, "No! This cannot be happening!" His surviving bodyguards all began rising around him. Terrified, they all fell off the face of the moon. Screaming they plunged to their deaths, falling to Glorantha below like little red drops of blood.

It is later said that upon the death of Phargentes, the Red Moon wept glowing red tears. (Guide to Glorantha pg 318)

With the Red Emperor's death, all illusion was shattered and Truth struck Nymphia like a physical blow, driving her to her knees. She saw clearly for the first time in years...

She remembered her first taste of battle against the nomads in what seemed so very long ago. How she'd reveled in the slaughter. The horror on the faces of the priestesses of Deezola as she returned triumphant, steeped in blood and gore.

The words of the high priestess, Arronia, "Violence is not always the answer. Deezola teaches mercy. She unites, not destroys whenever possible. I know there is a gentleness within you, Nymphia. A voice that tells you when to stay your hand, when to show mercy. Listen to that voice inside you sister. Let it quell the violence that wells up in you. I want you to take a year in seclusion, under a vow of silence and reflect upon your actions."

But the quiet solitude that was supposed to heal her had only done more harm. She had tried to find peace and only found frustration. "Listen to that voice inside you sister" But her solitude became a prison. She began to hurt herself just to release the violence that was within her.

The priestesses realized her condition was beyond their abilities to mend and so she was sent to the Jakaleel priestesses. The shame of it overwhelmed her and she slashed her own wrists.

And then the miracle occurred. She rose from the dead.

"My sister brought me back," she told the witches, who proclaimed her touched by their goddess.

She saw it all so clearly now, as the Emperor plunged to his doom. She had told all around her that it had been her sister Razza, that had resurrected her that day.

But Nymphia now knew the truth. She had no sister.

The gentle voice of Razza had always been her own voice. The cuts upon her sisters arms that she'd taken upon herself had never been Razza's wounds. She had been begun cutting herself during her enforced solitude. She had made the voice within her real in her own mind. She had created Razza and in the end, her belief in Razza had become so great she had resurrected herself.

"I know there is gentleness inside you. Listen to that voice sister"

And so with all illusions dispelled, Deezola united her. Razza and Nymphia were One once again.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 2

No sooner posted than Nymphia's player Thomas posts the final diary.

Nymphia sitting at her writing desk in her private study slowly re-reads the missive she had recieved from Jar-Eel. "Come to the Capital, our new Emperor has been born."

It seemed like a life time ago that she and her compatriots fought the Red Emperor on the red moon. "Hmmm, I wonder what they are up to now?" 

"You should meet up with Clarice and Bertha on your way to the Capital." Razza says from Nymphia's right shoulder. " Im sure they would like to see you again as well."

"Screw them, let them all rot! You don't owe them a damn thing." Snarls Azzar from her left.

Sighing with resignation, Nymphia turns to address them both and than remembers, she is actually alone, and a deep feeling of loneliness and loss overcome her. The voices are not as strong as they were even a month ago, but she can still hear them. She has, however, stopped seeing her sister and brother. They were at first so real that she could hardly believe the truth, then they became phantoms darting out from the corners of her eyes and deep shadowy recesses.

Nymphia calls out to one of her retainers, " Ready a traveling pack and my equipment, I set for the Capital on the morrow."

The next morning, Nymphia and her entourage prepare for their journey.  Nymphia shrugs on her rainbow feathered cloak and calls out her steeds name three times, " Hellmane, Hellmane, Hellmane!"  A winged demon horse appears in a puff of putrid sulfuric smelling smoke.

"I'll always be with you." Razza whispers into Nymphia's ear as she settles into her saddle and sets off to meet her new Emperor.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 1