Guide to Glorantha Group Read Week 10 errors

This is a place where you can post any errors you spot in the Week 10 Guide to Glorantha Group Read. Please note that there will be a different thread each week to post errors.

This weeks page range is page 199 up to and including page 233. Please include the text to be corrected and the correction.

@Rick Meints has clarified versions of the Guide, please check your errors against the latest PDF:

The most up to date version of the PDFs is on Chaosium.com

Anyone who has purchased the PDFs can get the latest copy there, although you will have to have an account set up on Chaosium.com, and you may also have to have Dustin add the PDFs to your list of previous purchases. We have records for who purchased the PDFs on Glorantha.com, but we did not automatically add them onto chaosium.com

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

p.202 - 3rd column, last para, 2nd sentence, "was opened" should be "were opened".

p.225 - Brass Citadel, dwarf's should be dwarves'.

p.227 - Dwarves of Nida box, Description, "who rules" should be either "who rule" or "which rules" (depending on whether you want to refer to the Council of Nine as a single entity or a plural of members).

p.229 - Harrek box, 3rd column, 1st line, was it only a single "merman" that Harrek threw the Vadeli too? It strikes me as a bit odd (though not, of course, impossible), and I wondered whether this should be plural "mermen"?

p.230/231 - For these two maps, the legend is too small here on the PDF. The map is at a larger scale than the previous maps, and presumably at the same resolution. Because of the larger scale, if you try zooming in to read the place names etc then they're blurry and in some cases impossible to read (e.g. the names of rivers). Either the legend needs to be made larger (so it's readable), or (probably easier) the map needs to be at a higher resolution here.

p.230 - map, Hingswell has a stray "15K" by it, presumably a leftover from the population map, and this should be removed.

p. 232 - 1st para, 2nd sentence, "thinking it a single night". Is this correct? On p.233 it says that the Rathori were hibernating at the time, so they wouldn't have thought it a single night.

Maps pp. 207, 213, 218 and 230 (but not 221) have Tastalar rather than Tastolar. That's a general map  error, also in the AAA, and probably not easily fixed. I would advise against going the Surkorian route where apparently the mislabeling of the map was applied to the text, obscuring the Korioni tribal name element (which survives in Otkorion and Naskorion). (I'm mentioning this because the Surkorian label turns up in the map on p.225.)

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 22.8.2017 at 0:17 PM, Steve said:

p.229 - Harrek box, 3rd column, 1st line, was it only a single "merman" that Harrek threw the Vadeli too? It strikes me as a bit odd (though not, of course, impossible), and I wondered whether this should be plural "mermen"?

The "merman" may well have been Terthinus, technically a Manthi sea god who rules the local Malasp and those before Umathela, or one of his lieutenants

On 22.8.2017 at 0:17 PM, Steve said:

p. 232 - 1st para, 2nd sentence, "thinking it a single night". Is this correct? On p.233 it says that the Rathori were hibernating at the time, so they wouldn't have thought it a single night.

This is actually a subject for discussion:

Do we know at which date the Syndic's Ban was executed? If it wasn't in winter, the single night might apply to the Rathori (although leaving a problem for all those who went through ordinary night time activities like hunting, outside of their shelters (if in winter, how did it affect those under the blessing of the Polar Bear God?). Did time freeze for the rest of the inhabitants of Rathorela? I know how my garden looks after a few weeks of neglect. Awakening after 95 or more years of slumber might have turned each of their huts into sleeping beauty palaces in terms of overgrowth.

There are other Hsunchen types cohabitating with the Rathori, and there are aldryami refugees from Erigia. Did the Rathori sleep affect them, too?

While on the subject of bears, I stumbled over Orenoar bears in Rathorela. p.233. I wonder whether the Celestial Court goddess of the Truth Power Rune has a business re-appearing as a Hsunchen bear spirit, if of a very obscure form. Glorantha Wikia has the blue bears as Orenrar. I wonder whether there is a Lunar connection to these, possibly to the Orogeria (recuperating blue without visible stellar equivalent) stage. (Real world blue bears appear to be a subspecies of black bears in North America, also known as Glacier Bear. Who would have guessed...)

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

7 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Do we know at which date the Syndic's Ban was executed? If it wasn't in winter, the single night might apply to the Rathori (although leaving a problem for all those who went through ordinary night time activities like hunting, outside of their shelters (if in winter, how did it affect those under the blessing of the Polar Bear God?). Did time freeze for the rest of the inhabitants of Rathorela? I know how my garden looks after a few weeks of neglect. Awakening after 95 or more years of slumber might have turned each of their huts into sleeping beauty palaces in terms of overgrowth.

Interesting question. On p. 201 we have the following:

Snodal is best known because he organized the conspiracy which killed the God of the Silver Feet late in 1499

So assuming the Ban took place more or less immediately, which seems plausible, it sounds like it may well have been in winter, with the Rathori presumably hibernating, which seems consistent to what I raised above about p.233 saying they were hibernating, but not with p.232 suggesting they thought it "a single night".

Edited by Steve