Runequest Quickstart

Scout

meh on anniversary things.. it's only good for the year.   I have a 50th anniversary Corvette ('03), not the special ugly-colored (to me anyway) anniversary model  but a standard coupe with some "50"s plastered on places (but it is red).  It isn't a big deal 14 years later, and wasn't the year after when the new generation Corvette came out (I should have waited that extra year).

I do like the RQG name, especially since when I run it with my house rule it WILL be the Runequest - Glen edition.  :D  

On 10/4/2017 at 6:34 AM, MJ Sadique said:

PS : why not use grumbler instead of grognard which is a french name ?

"Grognard" (grumbler) is a term sometimes used for an "old soldier," since (at least) the time of Napoleon.  It has been with RPG's since the very beginning, when wargamer "grognards" disparaged the passing fad that was D&D (and a very few other RPGs)...

Remember, in 1978 RQ won the Strategist’s Club Award... for “Outstanding Miniatures Rules!”  Because at the time, they didn't have a separate category for "RPG."

These days, "grognards" are RPG'ers who can still remember those days!  :P

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think whoever was unfortunate enough to be exposed to THACO has the right to be called a Grognard :D

(I mean in it's original form and not via some hip indie OSR novelty version which provides it as a nostalgic option!)

So yeah by this definition, the 'younger' grognards may now mean anyone who has been playing rpgs before 2000. However the more distinguished amongst this group rolled their first dice before 1980... 

Edited by Mankcam
  • Haha 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 10/6/2017 at 6:27 PM, Mankcam said:

I think whoever was unfortunate enough to be exposed to THACO has the right to be called a Grognard :D 

IIRC, "Thaco" was also used as a PC's given name in one of the notable AD&D1e modules...

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Arrgh!!!

i just want either RQG or 13th Age: Glorantha to be released! 

my daughter is super into Glorantha right now and starting to play 5eD&D with friends. Though I love the Heroquest Glorantha book, the system is not for me and she would prefer all the stuff that was added in Quickstart. She would be cool with the D&D approach of 13th Age and I could live with it...

If too much time passes who knows what she'll get distracted by, she's already looking at Vampire the Masquerade!!!!😵 Save me Chaosium, Save my daughter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ScottK said:

Arrgh!!!

i just want either RQG or 13th Age: Glorantha to be released! 

my daughter is super into Glorantha right now and starting to play 5eD&D with friends. Though I love the Heroquest Glorantha book, the system is not for me and she would prefer all the stuff that was added in Quickstart. She would be cool with the D&D approach of 13th Age and I could live with it...

If too much time passes who knows what she'll get distracted by, she's already looking at Vampire the Masquerade!!!!😵 Save me Chaosium, Save my daughter!

Start now with RQClassic.  If she loves the RQG-QS extras enough, interpolate/approximate this in from the example-PC's and the blogged Designer Notes.  Neaten up & make it "official" when the actual rules roll out.

ps - If you have some Mostali Cannon-Cultists who could loan my Trollkin Ninjas a few guns, we might be able to stage a raid... :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, Mankcam said:

(I mean in it's original form and not via some hip indie OSR novelty version which provides it as a nostalgic option!)

So yeah by this definition, the 'younger' grognards may now mean anyone who has been playing rpgs before 2000. However the more distinguished amongst this group rolled their first dice before 1980... 

The funny thing was - and I've never, ever seen this mentioned - that THAC0 didn't actually represent the AD&D to hit tables mathemetically.

Sure, the AD&D tables do increment one step per AC until you get to 20, which is repeated 6 times.  THAC0 as a concept made lower ACs *much* harder to hit.

Thank God for %-based systems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1