Modular Runequest????

Jon Hunter

OK some days you have crazy ideas and this may be one of them.

Seeing as we have many version of RQ's to choose from , a YGMV mentality, a community of moders and hackers could it be possible to create runequest as a configurable rules system ?

Certain elements would have to remain for  it to remain Runequest and published materials and adventures to work, other elements could be built on a mix and match.

Elements which I think can change radically without changing the core nature of the system are

• Character Creation
  • Experience
  • Combat

Are there other parts of the system that could be easily modulated, and other parts don't require to interact with?

• Like 1

About point 3 I am not so sure, the others... I agree, it is just that someone else will not. Many people consider character creation integral to the rules.

Note also that something similar to what you imagine here already exists. It is called "the BGB". It offers you plenty of "modular" options, just in other areas than experience and chargen. For combat, for example, it offers you the options of using/not using Strike Rank, of using/not using Hit Locations, of fixed/variable armour etc. etc. Ditto for magic, where the only things that does not change among systems is that there are "power points".

Edit: scooped by RIchard S. :)

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

6 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

About point 3 I am not so sure, the others... I agree, it is just that someone else will not. Many people consider character creation integral to the rules.

The character definition system would have to be standard, the techniques on how you arrive at that definition could alter drastically.

RQ is already super moddable. People swap in and out ideas from other BRP games and adjust or replace mechanics all the time. I’ve certain,y done this. For a long time I ran a game in Glorantha using the game system from Elric and the magic system from RQ3, with a bit of rules  ‘glue’. In fact, thanks to David Dunham here’s the mod.

Are there really any significant barriers to doing this?

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

2 hours ago, simonh said:

RQ is already super moddable. People swap in and out ideas from other BRP games and adjust or replace mechanics all the time. I’ve certain,y done this. For a long time I ran a game in Glorantha using the game system from Elric and the magic system from RQ3, with a bit of rules  ‘glue’. In fact, thanks to David Dunham here’s the mod.

Are there really any significant barriers to doing this?

Simon Hibbs

It's very much one of the reasons I've loved RQ for all these years.  It's mechanically so much simpler to houserule things than (for example) a d20 system chock full of rationalizations.

For example: the hitlocation/armor absorbs damage system is so much more friendly/logical to adding partial armor pieces with odd effects.

1 hour ago, styopa said:

For example: the hitlocation/armor absorbs damage system is so much more friendly/logical to adding partial armor pieces with odd effects.

Personally I prefer the armour dice in Elric and roll for a locational injury or special effect only for major worlds. Fortunately you can swap in one or the other very easily. Want to play Elric with the hit locations system from RQ? Very easy to do.

Simon Hibbs

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!