What is your favourite RPG for playing Glorantha that contained Glorantha as a setting?

David Scott

What is your favourite RPG for playing Glorantha that contained Glorantha as a setting?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite RPG for playing Glorantha that contained Glorantha as a setting?

• Chaosium's RuneQuest first edition (1978). Also includes the Classic edition reprint.
    • Chaosium's RuneQuest second edition (1980), including licensed and foreign editions. Also includes the Classic edition reprint.
    • Avalon Hill's RuneQuest (1983) including licensed and foreign editions.
    • Issaries' Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha (2000) including licensed and foreign editions.
    • Issaries' HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha (2003) including licensed and foreign editions.
    • Mongoose's RuneQuest first edition (2006)
    • Moon Design's HeroQuest (2009) including licensed and foreign editions.
    • Mongoose's RuneQuest second edition (2010)
    • Moon Design's HeroQuest Glorantha (2015)
    • Chaosium's RuneQuest Quickstart (2017)

This is a companion poll to https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/7123-what-was-your-favourite-version-of-runequest-to-date/

Please note that this only includes publications that contained Glorantha as a setting there will be another poll later for rules sets that people use for Glorantha (like the Design Mechanism's RuneQuest).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

In some ways, this is harder to answer than the RQ version question, because it really depends on who's vision of Glorantha you are looking at. 

I thought Sandy's Pamaltela campaign fit perfectly for what led up to RQ3; he presented a somewhat gritty campaign with heroic elements and moments along with some horror elements (Its Sandy after all). The game fit fine. Loved it.

If we are looking more from the Greg perspective, then I would say Issaries HeroQuest. Appropriately abstract which made it easy to play a Heroic game (and Superheros too), but I admit to not liking extended contests, prefer chained simple contests. 

But I think my favorite would be one not on your list, probably because it was only Semi-Published (appeared in a magazine). That would be Dave Dunham's PenDragon Pass. For me, just about the perfect level of abstraction/structure to be able to play just about anyone from a farmer up to a Hero. And, if you look at it now and replace the Pendragon high skill rules with Masteries, then you have a single game where you can start of as street level urchins and work your way up to truly heroic lives, assuming you survive of course.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 3