Lunar army in Hendrikiland 1619-1622+

jeffjerwin

I'm wondering if there is any mention of specific units or officers being present that I'm overlooking:

Jorkandros the Blinder (dismissed ?late 1619)- commands probably a Dara Happan unit from Yuthuppa

Tatius the Bright (1619+); absent much of the time

Fazzur with the Provincial Army; there are still Dara Happans in Hendrikiland to cause problems for him in 1619-22.

Enarian Scarlet, and Garoshargash, both with the College of Magic

What sort of unit would be stationed to patrol the perimeter of the siege or to protect supplies?

Basically, the siege would attract a veritable garrison city of units or at least meaningful detachments from all over the Heartlands. Hardly any provincials, though - Tatius wants professionals to participate in the siege.

Fazzur originally used Tarshite and Cavalry Corps units for his rush to the sea, and he would have left a few of his slowest units behind with Jorkandros to keep Broyan and his Volsaxi army inside the old but (at least to Fazzur) insignificant mountaintop fortress of Whitewall. Broyan's army would be around 3000 men strong, initially, so the covering forces would have to match that, and then a bit.

As long as Broyan stays behind the walls of Whitewall, Fazzur has free reign to occupy the rest of Volsaxiland and to take Karse, gaining him (and Tarsh) the long wanted foothold on the Mirrorsea Bay and thereby to the Homeward Ocean.

The magicians under Tatius have a totally different agenda, they want to crush the last free king of the Orlanthi (that matter) and his temple city. That's why they send for the Bat, the usual WMD of the Lunar army. It failed only once, when a dragon rose to keep it from reaching Boldhome 17 years earlier. This time, no dragon interferes, so what could possibly go wrong? Indeed. Broyan does the impossible, the Bat is slain, and heads roll. Tatius assumes command of the siege, and what used to be a relaxed post becomes a series of militarily wasteful ceremonial attacks, sacrificing Lunar soldiers in the thousands for some magical build-up. And Tatius makes sure to let as many Imperial units or detachments thereof bleed on the white walls. So basically, it would be more noteworthy if a Heartland unit's standard is absent from the siege for its duration.

Tarshite and other Provincial units draw garrison duty in Karse, Smithstone, and later on the New Malkonwal cities. Many of these wouldn't be in the Dragon Pass boardgame because of their presence at the New Lunar Temple dedication in 1625. The Native Furthest forces describe the Tarshite reserves, not its veteran front troops. Too many of those are loyal to Fazzur and probably hang back for part of the action, or participate as e.g. the Bush Children.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Hmmm... Tatius wants to stain the Whitewalls red with purifying Lunar/DH blood (metaphorically). This seems like work for the Elevens. Ideally, of course, it should be expressions of Celestial/Yelmic power. Ritual death also seems to be associated with the Danfive Xaron cult, given what happened to him... and his connection to Air.

What sort of unfortunates are inappropriate for that sacred duty? Darjiini? I guess Tarshites would make the best perimeter patrol since at least they are familiar with defending against Heortlings in the hill country.

I know that the Yelmalions were allied with the Lunars until the Auroch Hills battle, but were they in Whitewall or in Hendrikiland?

14 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Hmmm... Tatius wants to stain the Whitewalls red with purifying Lunar/DH blood (metaphorically). This seems like work for the Elevens. Ideally, of course, it should be expressions of Celestial/Yelmic power. Ritual death also seems to be associated with the Danfive Xaron cult, given what happened to him... and his connection to Air.

There is a strong precedent in the Seven Years Build-up the Carmanians did, sacrificing an entire army and the shah's own brother to get the magical benefit against the Dara Happans.

Tatius does build up a grudge, and the besieged Heortlings take up his concept and run wild with it. Basically, Tatius provides magical support to Broyan in order to manifest Orlanth. While not exactly the same, he does use a Summons of Evil-like method to create the magical tension he requires for his über-rites.

What sort of unfortunates are inappropriate for that sacred duty? Darjiini? I guess Tarshites would make the best perimeter patrol since at least they are familiar with defending against Heortlings in the hill country.

Sylilans are as qualified, and despite their often boorish ways they are reliable Heartlanders now.

I know that the Yelmalions were allied with the Lunars until the Auroch Hills battle, but were they in Whitewall or in Hendrikiland?

In Hendrikiland, I would expect. You don't place mercenaries where they may get too comfortable.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

I'm wondering if there is any mention of specific units or officers being present that I'm overlooking:

Officers from the Doblian Dogeaters and Standfast regiments plan the assault on Whitewall. It also seems likely that the Crater Makers magical regiment (or elements thereof) and the Seven of Vistur were present when Whitewall was finally taken.

The Standfast are mounted Heavy Infantry hoplites; the Dogeaters fight as peltasts. Many other units were present.

whitewall.png

Edited by M Helsdon

11 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

I'm thinking the Flowers of Death might be suitable for my purposes (mainly because they have an awesome name and no doubt lovely decorations).

The Flowers of Death are a heavy cavalry regiment of the Cavalry Corps of the Lunar Army, not of the Provincial Army. The regiment was founded by Hwarin Dalthippa during the resettlement of Rist in 1/49 (1296), and are equipped with kontos (two-handed 'lance') and kopis swords.