Summoning and Power: Magic

The BRP core book, the "Big Gold Book," isn't really a "RPG" as-such.  It's a RPG-toolkit (with many options) you use to create your specific RPG with the flavor and power-levels you want.  It's much like a "GURPS" or a "Hero" system (although it doesn't stretch to really-powerful-superhero levels of power as much as they do).

Some of the options are mutually-incompatible "either/or" choices.  Some are redundant "You could do both but... why?" Some play well together, making things more-robust or richer or some other "desirable state" (or leave them off for a "simpler" or "quicker" or some other-other "desirable state."  ;-)

Magic-World is one specific implementation of the BGB toolkit.  Bits of the BGB that are NOT included into MW are explicitly not part of MW (unless you choose to HR them in).

Advanced Sorcery is a new set of optional magic rules specifically for MW.  Worth noting is that MW is the settingless revision of the rules from the Elric/Stormbringer line, so it's calibrated to flavor & power-levels of Moorcock's Young Kingdoms and occasional Melnibonean sorcerer.

===

How this sort of thing works out in BRP-land is usually that they may not be exactly compatible as-written (e.g. one magic system may presume a mana/magicpoint mechanism, another may be Vancian memorization-and-forget, another based on incurring debt/favors to extraplanar beings) but they generally "play well together".

The blurb on the Chaosium page notes it "... adds new options to players of the Magic World game, as well as other Basic Roleplaying-based roleplaying games. The magic systems in this book may be used alongside the Sorcery rules from Magic World , or replace them. As with all rules additions, the Chronicler and players are the final arbiters of the need for new material."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks a lot, g33k. I'd like to run a game with the Magic (not Sorcery) Power system because I'm fond of the roll-for-the-spell-to-happen thing. Are you familiar with "The Magic Book" supplement? Would you consider the "Wizardry" options presented there to run well with the basic Magic Power? Again, thank you for your insight.

I don't think I've used that book... sorry!

I would presume it, like other BRP supplements, Plays Well With Other supplements, and books within the BRP core line.

( Also, FWIW, the author-list on that is... impressive.  :D   )

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, billyorkfelix said:

Thanks a lot, g33k. I'd like to run a game with the Magic (not Sorcery) Power system because I'm fond of the roll-for-the-spell-to-happen thing. Are you familiar with "The Magic Book" supplement? Would you consider the "Wizardry" options presented there to run well with the basic Magic Power? Again, thank you for your insight.

"The Magic Book" contains the RuneQuest 3 magic systems, modified for MagicWorld: Spirit Magic, Divine Magic, and Wizardry (RQ3 Sorcery).

"Magic" in the BGB, is essentially Spirit Magic in The Magic Book. You have a given spell, at a given level, and a chance to cast. 

Wizardry is something a bit different. Its designed much more to replicate the vision of the Wizard in the Tower or Wizard's in the Library model. Its all about study. You not only have skill values for each spell, but for each way you might augment the spell. Thus, if you want to Animate (substance), and need to animate more than the base 6 Kg. allowed, you need to involve an additional skill called Intensity. The lower of the two skills would be the limiting factor, and would be what you need to roll for the spell to succeed.

You can run both at the same time, but the feel will be quite different between the two. 

Back in the RQ3 days, there was something called Lunar Magic that was supposed to combine aspects of Spirit Magic (BGB Magic) and Sorcery (Wizardry in The Magic Book), but I'm unsure how it actually worked in play.

SDLeary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Wizardry is something a bit different. Its designed much more to replicate the vision of the Wizard in the Tower or Wizard's in the Library model. Its all about study. You not only have skill values for each spell, but for each way you might augment the spell. Thus, if you want to Animate (substance), and need to animate more than the base 6 Kg. allowed, you need to involve an additional skill called Intensity. The lower of the two skills would be the limiting factor, and would be what you need to roll for the spell to succeed.

That was exactly what I wanted to know. Your very helpful answer is much appreciated, thank you very much, sir!!

Edited by billyorkfelix
typo