The sword on the Fenix Papers cover

Michael Hopcroft

I'm curious about the sword in the Fenix Papers cover, which is curved at the tip. There have been many curved sword types over the centuries, but I haven't seen one curved at the tip as opposed to a more central position (even the maligned-but-brutally-deadly kopesh  has its curve in the upper center).

Would a sword like that behave differently than those other blades? How durable is it? Does it have a different balance? In short, does it work differently enough to be worth using in a game?

I'm not sure that it's worth much, game-mechanically, but you could make it so.  I would treat it basically like a broadsword or scimitar, or maybe a falchion.  To me it's clearly Medium/Medium, like those other blades, and should have the Bleed and Impale Traits.  Other than that, we can quibble over exact damage and AP/HP ratings.  Others know more than I do about weapons IRL, and surely will be glad to expound about whether it should be 1d8 or 1d8+2 or whatever. 😉

EDIT:  I may be confusing this weapon with the Greek kopis.

Edited by Matt_E

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

It's not really just the tip, it's a standard Sabre, Scimitar or Tulwar style sword. Mechanically I would use scimitar stats, no Impale. You would say these swords have an advantage to cause a bleed, but that's what having that combat effect means.