RQG Augmenting

PhilHibbs

Is there a difference between a regular one-off Augment with a Rune or Passion, and a longer lasting Inspiration that carries a penalty for failure? Or are Rune or Passion Augments always governed by the Inspiration rules?

Augmenting magic with Ritual Preparation seems like a lot of time, when you could use a skill much more quickly. If you have a skill of 40%, you can spend 9 MR to improve your chance to augment up to 80%, and get a quick +20%. Sure, Ritual Prep starts at +30 so it's better, so if you really do have the luxury of lots of time then it's worth it. Given that spirit and rune magic users will be starting off with fairly decent chances, +20% should cover most circumstances. This occurred to me watching the Encounter Roleplay session where one of the characters spends an hour in ritual prep when the other players were eager to get on with other things.

I think it is a bit abusive, but I wonder if a sorcery spell matrix would count as a magical item to get Component item bonus... nah, I don't think I'd allow that! It is a magical item, though, and I can imagine the munchkinly types trying it on!

Keeping track of exactly what day, week, season it is for sorcery skill bonuses (and penalties!) might be a bit tedious.

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Keeping track of exactly what day, week, season it is for sorcery skill bonuses (and penalties!) might be a bit tedious.

There are tables for that - Just roll 1D8 for the Day, with 8 being player choice,  1D8 for the Week and 1D6 for the Season, with 6 being Sacred Time. If it matterered, the GM would be keeping track. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Is there a difference between a regular one-off Augment with a Rune or Passion, and a longer lasting Inspiration that carries a penalty for failure? Or are Rune or Passion Augments always governed by the Inspiration rules?

Not that I've seen, so I believe they are always governed by the Inspiration rules.

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Sure, Ritual Prep starts at +30 so it's better, so if you really do have the luxury of lots of time then it's worth it.

That's why it's of most value with Worship or rituals to create enchantments.  And likely is of value when casting sorcery spells.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

That's why it's of most value with Worship or rituals to create enchantments.  And likely is of value when casting sorcery spells.

Fair point. Although enchant needs no dice roll, I think. I guess the spell needs a Rune roll like any other, but it's unclear whether the POW is lost on a failure. It always used to be, so probably is still. So yes, ritual that chance as much as you can!