Fatigue Effects (going without sleep)

Valvorik

I can't find any guidance on the effects of going without sleep, e.g., deciding after a day of investigating to stay awake all night looking out for cultists coming to the ritual spot etc.

It's fairly easy to house rule something but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing an official rule.

Rob

I don't know of any official rules, but if nothing else I'd be inclined to start adding penalty dice on Sanity checks as exhaustion sets in… 🙂

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Fatigue is quite dependent on the story  - we left such matters to individual Keepers, who can choose to impose penalty die, increase difficulties of rolls and so on. In the main, if you feel that you need to check for fatigue, then a straight CON roll does the trick (this can be adjusted to Hard, given the particular circumstances). If passed, then all is ok for a while, then call for another CON roll if the PCs fail to rest up. If failed, then penalties/difficulty increase can be used. Of course, should combat/something ensure, you have to make a judgement call - does adrenalin kick in and revive the PC for the fight? If so, then imediately after the fight, I'd say the PC collapses (no roll) and is out for X hours. X being the Keeper's decison (the player pushed the PC to their limit).

Thanks for responses.  The reason for question is a scenario that is "on the clock" over a few days, where investigators might be tempted to keep late hours for several consecutive days.

And yes Mike M, my thinking was first a Con roll (to make having a strong Con useful) to see if you are feeling the ill-effects of fatigue, another one if you exert yourself, with a Penalty die on rolls if one fails.  I hadn't thought of the "adrenaline" kicking in to cancel the penalty die for a short time (sure you were sleepy and missing Spot Hidden rolls, botching your Library Use to find that article, but now that something jumps out at you ...), and I think that makes sense in the narrative and in terms of not getting too deadly too fast.  I don't think I would have a character collapse, just have the rare condition of two penalty die in play - essentially a strong suggestion you should collapse but if you want to keep going... 

Fatigue should have a dramatic effect on perception skills. Think about late night study or driving, the point comes where you might be awake but nothing is working properly. Super fit people can stay effective for longer, and there are drugs which can help maintain performance for a while.