Augment Questions

Mechashef

I have some questions about augmenting Abilities:

1) Does successfully using a skill to augment an Ability qualify for an Experience Gain roll for that skill?

While the results of an Augment Success, Special or Critical seem clear, the results of a failure seem less clear.

2) Does a fail (or fumble) for an augment attempt using a Rune or Passion result in a penalty for the roll for the Ability that was being augmented?  For an augment attempt using a Skill the answer is clearly yes, but the rules don’t seem to state that when a Rune or Passion is used.

3) Am I correct in understanding that an augment attempt using a Passion that fails (but not fumbles) results in a 10% penalty for all subsequent 1D100 rolls for that character until the situation (such as a battle) ends.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Mechashef said:

Does successfully using a skill to augment an Ability qualify for an Experience Gain roll for that skill?

Yes.  This is nicely summarized in the new GM screen.  You get an Experience check with a successful augment roll (whether of skill, rune, or passion).

2 hours ago, Mechashef said:

the results of a failure seem less clear.

RQG p.145 "Failure: The adventurer subtracts –20% from the ability to be used for the action being attempted."

Does a fail (or fumble) for an augment attempt using a Rune or Passion result in a penalty for the roll for the Ability that was being augmented?

Yes.  And there's further negative effects when trying to subsequently use that Rune or Passion until you can spend time meditating on the Rune or in the case of the Passion that the situation has passed.

the rules don’t seem to state that when a Rune or Passion is used.

Yes, it's -20% on the roll for the Rune (plus subsequent attempts to use the Rune), or -10% on the roll for the Passion (plus all subsequent rolls associated with the situation).

Similar for fumbles, but even more extreme.

Am I correct in understanding that an augment attempt using a Passion that fails (but not fumbles) results in a 10% penalty for all subsequent 1D100 rolls for that character until the situation (such as a battle) ends.

Yes.

Thanks. 

Yes Page 145 is lovely and clear on that.

It is a pity that Pages 229 (Inspiration by Rune) and 236 (Inspiration by Passion) are less clear.

Is the intention that for one session each ability can:

- Only be used to augment one other ability?

- Only be augmented by one other ability?

Thanks again 

4 hours ago, Mechashef said:

Is the intention that for one session each ability can:

- Only be used to augment one other ability?

That certainly seems to be the intent.

4 hours ago, Mechashef said:

- Only be augmented by one other ability?

I think this intent is that an ability can only be augmented by one other ability at a time. So you could augment your Orate with Sing in one scene, but later in the session, in another scene augment it with your Earth Rune or your Hate (Lunars) Passion. But you could not stack your Sing, Earth and Hate onto one speech.

15 hours ago, womble said:

think this intent is that an ability can only be augmented by one other ability at a time. So you could augment your Orate with Sing in one scene, but later in the session, in another scene augment it with your Earth Rune or your Hate (Lunars) Passion. But you could not stack your Sing, Earth and Hate onto one speech.

Correct.  You can augment a given skill with any other skill/Rune/Passion you deem appropriate, and that augmenting ability can vary.

There is no stacking of augments.  And you may have a lingering augment based on a Rune or Passion that effectively prevents you from augmenting a skill with something else unless you can overcome the inspiration you initially invoked.

By "stacking" I presume it is meant that you can't try and augment ability A with ability B and then while that augment is still in effect, augment ability A with ability C in an attempt to get two lots of bonuses for ability A.

But

Can I augment ability B with ability C, then use the now higher value for ability B to augment ability A.

This is probably a bad example, but I mean something like this:

Adventurer Jade and a bandit have been fighting on top of a speeding wagon when it hits an obstacle, throwing them both to the ground.  Both have taken some damage from the accident (the bandit is down to one HP in his left leg) and have lost their weapons.

Climbing to their feet the two combatants face off and begin to wrestle.

Jade's player wants to use Scan to augment their adventurer's grapple skill (the justification is that the Scan skill will allow Jade to spot if the bandit is not moving properly due to injury, such as limping - Search may be an alternative) .

However, Jade's Scan skill is not great so the player wants to try and augment Scan with their Fire/Sky Rune (as Scan is a Perception skill) 

So can Jade augment Scan with the Fire/Sky Rune, then use the now improved Scan to augment Grapple?

Is this allowable or is it also considered to be stacking?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Mechashef said:

So can Jade augment Scan with the Fire/Sky Rune, then use the now improved Scan to augment Grapple?

Is this allowable or is it also considered to be stacking?

I would say no, not deliberately like this, but if they already had an augment in place and then decided to use that skill to augment another, then I would not disallow it.

13 hours ago, Mechashef said:

Can I augment ability B with ability C, then use the now higher value for ability B to augment ability A.

No.  I think this goes against the text "Only one augment may be attempted per ability" and the spirit of the rule.

But what you can do is get Runic inspiration, say by the Fire rune, and apply that augment to your Scan skill to find your target and then to your Bow skill to try to bring down your target.  As Rune or Passion inspiration can carry through an action or event (potentially lasting a whole day), these can drive multiple relevant actions through that time period.

• Like 1