Dice mechanics

DeathFromAbove

On 10/7/2018 at 5:51 PM, PhilHibbs said:

It's easy for you and me. I've seen grown men angry and tearful over having to do it, not being able to, and having to rely on others. Anything that can be done to entirely eliminate any form of multiplication or division in the middle of combat is a good move in my books.

Yep I have had PHDs in social science that thinks anything jsut looking at numbers (manipulating numbers in ANY way yeeeach). So I have a system (much borrowed from Harnmaster and WFRP) med 10s and doubles and switching the numbers around. I was thinking of using the 5s also ... but that was on the limit and could to easy be overlooked in the heat of combat.

If people hate numbers, why are they playing a high-mechanics game?  Don't read between the lines: I'm not inviting anyone "bug off" I'm honestly asking if people really find even fairly simple math "painful" and it makes grown men angry and tearful, it would just seem more natural to migrate to number-lite systems like Fate?

I could CERTAINLY see a Fate-based Glorantha, just like I think in some ways the people who are particular fans of the 'mythic' Glorantha aspect would be more satisfied with Heroquest/wars/whatever is is, than any format of RQ.

1 hour ago, styopa said:

If people hate numbers, why are they playing a high-mechanics game?  Don't read between the lines: I'm not inviting anyone "bug off" I'm honestly asking if people really find even fairly simple math "painful" and it makes grown men angry and tearful, it would just seem more natural to migrate to number-lite systems like Fate?

I can't speak for them, but I might speculate that they are trying to be good sports about it, playing the game that their friends love.

Also, it's worth noting that for most of Glorantha's lifespan, the only official mechanics (beginning with WBRM) have been crunchy.  So a player may put up with the crunchy bits they dislike, in order to get to the chewy Glorantha's goodness that they want.

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, g33k said:

I can't speak for them, but I might speculate that they are trying to be good sports about it, playing the game that their friends love.

Also, it's worth noting that for most of Glorantha's lifespan, the only official mechanics (beginning with WBRM) have been crunchy.  So a player may put up with the crunchy bits they dislike, in order to get to the chewy Glorantha's goodness that they want.

Some of my players love crunch, some of them ignore it completely and happily just say "this is what I am doing - make the rules work so I can do it". Part of the job of a GM as I see it, is to facilitate several types of play styles and not insist that players care about mastering the rules (unless that is where they get their fun). But I have never seen "grown men angry and tearful" about the math in RQ or other BRP games.

I HAVE seen it happen with the abstractions associated with some notable other games.

• Haha 1