Etymology of Tarsh?

Sir_Godspeed

The etymology of Sartar is pretty clear: it's named after its founder, Sartar. But what about Tarsh? Ancestral name? Clan name extended to a kingdom? Pre-existing toponym extended over a greater area from a royal core? Or something else entirely?

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

what about Tarsh

I haven't seen any documents but since Arim's regime revolved around a restored earth rite I'd love it if the formal name of the country was actually "Torshi" on the model of the Tadashi Tumulus. Mountain of Tada = Tadashi. Mountain of Sorana Tor = Torshi. Then a few centuries of exposure to New Pelorian shave off that last vowel and raise the one in the middle, giving us the modern "Tarsh(e)".

And then there's the once and future Baro Shi, Forang Faro Shi, etc.

Edited by scott-martin
getting the hard earth pantheon in there
  • Like 5

singer sing me a given

2 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

There's also the prefix Tar- found in many Theyalan names, viz. Tar-Umath, High Storm. I think it means the 'high country'.

Edit: Tarena clouds are also the highest clouds in the sky...

"Highlands" would make a lot of sense, if that's the case.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scott-martin said:

I haven't seen any documents but since Arim's regime revolved around a restored earth rite I'd love it if the formal name of the country was actually "Torshi" on the model of the Tadashi Tumulus. Mountain of Tada = Tadashi. Mountain of Sorana Tor = Torshi. Then a few centuries of exposure to New Pelorian shave off that last vowel and raise the one in the middle, giving us the modern "Tarsh(e)".

And then there's the once and future Baro Shi, Forang Faro Shi, etc.

13 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

There's also the prefix Tar- found in many Theyalan names, viz. Tar-Umath, High Storm. I think it means the 'high country'.

Edit: Tarena clouds are also the highest clouds in the sky...

Both of these, when taken together could result in Tarsh originally being Tarshi, the High Mountain, aka Wintertop.

It was originally Arim's people's name for Kerofinela, which got adopted as the name for his kingdom when used by outsiders.

• Like 4