Passions & Rune Affinities

Thyrwyn

11 hours ago, Crel said:

Does anyone have advice for using the Power & Form Runes to augment/become inspired?

It does require more improvisation and imagination than elements. Some groups might think that a good thing, others might have more trouble with it. I've had players that find that kind of thing tricky.

Does this mean:

• That you can't use a Passion or Rune affinity to augment another adventurer or
  • That you can't use an Ability to augment another adventurer who is attempting to use a Passion or Rune affinity?

Reading the whole paragraph on page 145, it seems to me that you cannot use a Passion or Rune to augment the efforts of someone else. The paragraph suggests that it is only possible to augment another’s efforts IF the GM approves, and then establishes one case where it is always impossible (no communication); and then a second case (when the actor/agent is using a Passion or Rune affinity). 

5 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

It does require more improvisation and imagination than elements. Some groups might think that a good thing, others might have more trouble with it. I've had players that find that kind of thing tricky.

I explain it this way to my players: the Elemental Runes can only augment skills in specific groups; Power and Form Runes can be used to augment any skill, as long as that skill is being used according to the way that specific Rune behaves. With Power and Form Runes, it not the skill, but the manner or goal of the attempt that matters. 

18 hours ago, Crel said:

Does anyone have advice for using the Power & Form Runes to augment/become inspired?

The easiest one is Movement.  My players regularly use that as inspiration to hurry up, help in a chase, improve the chance of dodging, climbing, or jumping, maybe even react faster (e.g. help with a DEX roll).  

Death is obviously relevant to attack rolls or combat in general.  I'd use it with the Peaceful Cut or Prepare Corpse, might even help with something like Battle or Underworld Lore.

They've used Truth to help with Communication rolls (e.g. Charm, Orate) where they are trying to impress their truthfulness/veracity upon the target, or in aiding Lore or some Perception skills.

I'd allow Illusion to help with anything related to Stealth (e.g. they think of just the right way to hide in the shadows or use the surrounding populace to be inconspicuous in a crowd), Concealment, Fast Talk or Charm (maybe even Intimidate).

Fertility has obvious uses with healing skills (First Aid), giving birth, Communications skills like Charm, Dance, or Sing, etc.

Stasis is useful when working on a Craft or Art.  I might also apply it to standing up to a crowd (e.g. with Orate or Intimidate) or applying it to a STR-related resistance roll.

Harmony works with Communication and Manipulation skills - think of Dance, Sing, Act, or Play (Instrument).  But you could use it to help harmonize group activities, or to facilitate Ride, Drive, or Boat skills.

Disorder would seem to apply best to skills where you are trying to cause confusion or leverage confusion to get results.  Fast Talk or Charm, also Intrigue.  With Game it would allow you to cheat better, with Sleight to cause distraction to improve pickpocketing someone.  You could be inspired to have confusing antics that help in combat or that make you Ride in some crazy manner that hinders your opponent in a chase.  But maybe someone could use it with Lore to get some crazy inspiration about two seemingly disconnected pieces of information?  

Man ties into civilized activities - inspiration for something like Insight(Human), but also Intrigue or artistic activities.

Beast means drawing on your wild self - maybe its savage frenzy in combat, maybe its improving your chance to survive in the wild, or Track your prey....

11 hours ago, Thyrwyn said:

With Power and Form Runes, it not the skill, but the manner or goal of the attempt that matters.

This is how I've been trying to frame it to my players. I think it's helpful that the Elemental Runes are so specific, because it gives a starting point for thinking about how P&F might work. But I'm still working to train my players to "think Runically" about their actions and motives.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website