Summon Cult Spirit and Elementals

Psullie

Summon Cult Spirit is a common rune spell so anyone can cast it. The description states: "Summon Elemental is a specific example of this spell but many other variations exist." and Summon Elemental is then listed. So my question is, if Summon Elemental is an example of Summon Cult Spirit then is counts as a free choice? If so why have both Yanioth & Vostor have taken Summon Elemental as one of their Cult Spells if Summon Cult Spirit is common? If not, then what type of spirit is summoned by the common spell?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Psullie said:

what type of spirit is summoned by the common spell?

Most commonly the dead worshippers of that cult (e.g. ancestors and the like). Then there will be those that have some association with the cult's runes (e.g. air or motion spirits for Orlanth) or spirit magics (e.g. a spirit that knows Bladesharp).  Some might be animal or plant spirits (e.g. alynx spirits for Yinkin).  And also spirits of a particular place.

It's much as noted for wyters on p.173-4 of RQG Bestiary:  The origins of an individual wyter varies, and wyters include the spirits of dead heroes, genius loci, children of gods, artificial psychic constructs, souls of extinct spirits, intelligent elementals, and many other possibilities.

Also consider more powerful cult spirits like the Snake Daughters of Ernalda on p.175 who require a 4 pt. Summon Cult Spirit spell.

Guardian spirits would represent spirits already summoned and bound to a particular place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Most commonly the dead worshippers of that cult (e.g. ancestors and the like). Then there will be those that have some association with the cult's runes (e.g. air or motion spirits for Orlanth) or spirit magics (e.g. a spirit that knows Bladesharp).  Some might be animal or plant spirits (e.g. alynx spirits for Yinkin).  And also spirits of a particular place.

It's much as noted for wyters on p.173-4 of RQG Bestiary:  The origins of an individual wyter varies, and wyters include the spirits of dead heroes, genius loci, children of gods, artificial psychic constructs, souls of extinct spirits, intelligent elementals, and many other possibilities.

Also consider more powerful cult spirits like the Snake Daughters of Ernalda on p.175 who require a 4 pt. Summon Cult Spirit spell.

Guardian spirits would represent spirits already summoned and bound to a particular place.

So would you suggest then that Summon Elemental is required as a second spell if you wanted to summon elementals?

1 hour ago, Psullie said:

So would you suggest then that Summon Elemental is required as a second spell if you wanted to summon elementals?

That does seem a logical conclusion to the fact of the existence of the spell... It's probably the fluff text of Summon Cult Spirit that's a bit overenthusiastic.

7 hours ago, Psullie said:

I play it as Summon (Cult Spirit) - i.e. a different spell is required for each type of cult spirit, including elementals. So there could be Summon Sylph, Summon Wyter, Summon Temple Ghost and so on all available to the same cult. Foundchild cultists would have different Summon Totem Spirits according to their hunt beasts and so on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ultor said:

I play it as Summon (Cult Spirit) - i.e. a different spell is required for each type of cult spirit, including elementals. So there could be Summon Sylph, Summon Wyter, Summon Temple Ghost and so on all available to the same cult. Foundchild cultists would have different Summon Totem Spirits according to their hunt beasts and so on.

Yeah. That might be right too. I'd much rather see the two spells combined if that's the way it's meant to be, so "Summon (Cult Spirit)" would have the bits about needing to cast Command Cult Spirit to get the wee beastie to do anything other than slope off again in most cases. I think the existence of that paragraph in the "Summon Elemental" body text supports the interpretation that "Summon Elemental" is actually a variant of "Summon Cult Spirit".

• Like 1