Engizi Question

Larry Lovecraft

I am new to Glorantha lore and I am attempting to make a "river rat" thief-ish smuggler character, and in lieu of Eurmal (a little too disruptive) I was thinking Engizi.  I am from the baseline homeland (Sartar/Colymar/Narri) and it says the tribe has minor temples to Engizi. 

My question is, is there anything lore wise that would prevent a smuggler from being in the river cult?  Seems like a good fit to me, but again I am new to Glorantha.  I did roll the "awakened animal" trinket and made it a rat, so that is pretty awesome.  Thanks y'all!

36 minutes ago, jps said:

It sounds like a good idea and I don't think there's anything preventing a smuggler from being an initiate of the river cult (Engizi has not been developed a lot as far as I know).

The rat is a nice touch ^^  

I was almost leaning Eurmal, but then I rolled background and ended up with a pretty high Honor, so I couldn't quite wrap my head around that...I'll look into Engizi as much as possible to find out more.

Eurmal is a difficult cult to grasp: thieves, assassins, pranksters. They are disruptive and sometimes dangerous yet, Eurmal was a Lightbringer (although an unusual one) and therefore, there is a Eurmal initiate in every Orlanthi council. They serve as buffoons in the medieval sense of the word (those who could make fun of the lord/king), nonetheless, contrary to their medieval counterparts they are sometimes also thieves and assassins. Quite difficult to grasp.

Engizi works great for a "smuggler" with high Honor. The goods must flow, and the river goes where it must. I don't think the character would really view themselves as a smuggler so much as an honest trader who simply has to sometimes work around ridiculous and unreasonable restrictions that various unworthy "authorities" try to place upon them. Moving goods is a sacred duty - the only "crime" involved would be allowing petty bureaucrats to stop them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Larry Lovecraft said:

I am new to Glorantha lore and I am attempting to make a "river rat" thief-ish smuggler character, and in lieu of Eurmal (a little too disruptive) I was thinking Engizi.  I am from the baseline homeland (Sartar/Colymar/Narri) and it says the tribe has minor temples to Engizi. 

My question is, is there anything lore wise that would prevent a smuggler from being in the river cult?  Seems like a good fit to me, but again I am new to Glorantha. 

I think that works perfectly well.  As noted in the description of the Water Rune Personality:  To have a strong affinity with Water is to be mercurial, capricious, and mutable.

The River Gods also have the Movement Rune:  To be strong with the Movement Rune is to be changeable, energetic, rebellious, and ambitious. Such adventurers can adapt quickly to changing circumstances, but are also impulsive and reckless.

All sound like perfectly good traits for a thief!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, boztakang said:

Engizi works great for a "smuggler" with high Honor. The goods must flow, and the river goes where it must. I don't think the character would really view themselves as a smuggler so much as an honest trader who simply has to sometimes work around ridiculous and unreasonable restrictions that various unworthy "authorities" try to place upon them. Moving goods is a sacred duty - the only "crime" involved would be allowing petty bureaucrats to stop them.

That is perfect...exactly what I was looking for! I had a little trouble reconciling the two, but now its clear...thanks!

18 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I think that works perfectly well.  As noted in the description of the Water Rune Personality:  To have a strong affinity with Water is to be mercurial, capricious, and mutable.

The River Gods also have the Movement Rune:  To be strong with the Movement Rune is to be changeable, energetic, rebellious, and ambitious. Such adventurers can adapt quickly to changing circumstances, but are also impulsive and reckless.

All sound like perfectly good traits for a thief!

I ended up rolling the High Holy Day of Engizi as his birthday, and he is 75 in Water and Movement Runes and a 16 in DEX, INT and CHA...I think that combo should prove interesting to say the least!

• Like 3