Hero Wars

godsmonkey

21 minutes ago, godsmonkey said:

I owned a copy of the original Hero Wars, but never had the chance to play it, and have since lost my copy. I didn't see it in the Chaosium archives. It is available for purchase anywhere, or will I have to watch ebay to find a copy?

Thanks.

I think you'll have to hunt for it. 

Greg originally wanted to call the game HeroQuest, but at the time the rights were owned by someone else. Later, when he could pick up the rights to HeroQuest, he switched names from HeroWars back to HeroQuest. And now I think somebody else owns the rights to the Hero Wars name. So I think think even if Chaosium wanted to make it available they'd have to change the name.

BTW, is there anything specific about HeroWars that you prefer over the later editions? It will probably be a lot less expensive to buy a version of HeroQuest than to track down a copy of HeroWars off of ebay.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Actually, I found it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1929052014/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No real reason to own it, except I DO have some of the supplements that came out, and wanted it to cross reference. I also remember trying to grok the system, and being less than successful, so wanted to see how it compares/contrasts with HQ:G (which I already own)

Edited by godsmonkey

1 hour ago, godsmonkey said:

No real reason to own it, except I DO have some of the supplements that came out, and wanted it to cross reference. I also remember trying to grok the system, and being less than successful, so wanted to see how it compares/contrasts with HQ:G (which I already own)

Hey, you'll need the following, then!?!

Edited by Christoph Kohring

• 1 month later...

So, a follow up. (I mentioned this in the thread about extended contests as well)

I bought both copies of Hero Wars, and first addition HeroQuest. I was able to run my normal RQ:G group with quickly converted characters, and used a few house rules (most notably, a flat 20 AP monitor for everyone.) Using a combination of chained contests, and AP wagering. 

Atgxtg asked if there was a reasons for wanting those copies... well, after running the game, and especially once players started using AP bids instead of just the chained contest results, combat got FAR more interesting. I have spent the early part of today finding used or NOS copies of several of the books,and am now planning on running a first edition HeroQuest game.

It's fast, its fun, and there is just the *right* amount of crunch for my players and I.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, godsmonkey said:

So, a follow up. (I mentioned this in the thread about extended contests as well)

I bought both copies of Hero Wars, and first addition HeroQuest. I was able to run my normal RQ:G group with quickly converted characters, and used a few house rules (most notably, a flat 20 AP monitor for everyone.) Using a combination of chained contests, and AP wagering. 

Atgxtg asked if there was a reasons for wanting those copies... well, after running the game, and especially once players started using AP bids instead of just the chained contest results, combat got FAR more interesting. I have spent the early part of today finding used or NOS copies of several of the books,and am now planning on running a first edition HeroQuest game.

It's fast, its fun, and there is just the *right* amount of crunch for my players and I.

The SRD will include AP based contests.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1