Divine intervention power point loss

Djday45

5 minutes ago, Djday45 said:

Confused with divine intervention - is the power point loss for an Initiate permanent? Or do they regain those power points normally much like spirit magic use?

Thanks

Dean

Yes. That's why if you happen to roll the same as your POW, you die and are transported to your god's home in the afterlife.

Yeah, the POW loss for everyone (if a Rune Master with Improved DI rolls over their current unused Rune Point total) is permanent. Which is also how Priests who are meant to maintain an impressive-to-the-God-and-their-Congregation 18 POW get sent on furlough sometimes.

To initiate a Divine Intervention you must first sacrifice a permanent Rune Point, then you roll the dice (usually 1D100). If it succeeds the God answers, then the Power is lost (Rune Points are lost first in the case of a Rune Priest) if the Power left is 0 the Initiate/Rune Priest dies. In any case, the Power loss is permanent (but you can raise your Power through experience as usual).

So, indeed the RP is lost whether the DI succeeds or not but, should it succeeds the Power loss is permanent too.

28 minutes ago, womble said:

Oh, good catch. I had missed that you have to spend a one-use RP to even get a roll.

I had missed that change as well. So what happens to the poor initiate who has already used all their Rune Points? Do they have no chance for DI, or must they sacrifice 1 point of POW?

I'd probably rule the latter in my game.

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I had missed that change as well. So what happens to the poor initiate who has already used all their Rune Points? Do they have no chance for DI, or must they sacrifice 1 point of POW?

RAW, I think they'd have no chance for DI. I'd possibly say they can lose the ability to replenish one of their actual RP that they've spent, rather than knocking off POW... It's not much of a difference, but it is slightly less of a commitment. Especially if they're a Priest.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, jajagappa said:

I'd probably actually rule the former.  I mean, we're talking about an Initiate who isn't that high up the totem pole.

Membership has its privileges.