Dreamlands advice sought (Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man spoilers)

klecser

My players will likely choose to enter the Dreamlands shortly (this choice is possible in my game) and I want to give them a great experience. The purpose of the excursion is for them to find levels of Gate knowledge that "doesn't exist" in the Waking World. Once again, my spin. They have a Cat of Ulthar ally who has been with them for a while, giving them subtle aid and dropping them Dreams periodically. But, now they will likely choose to walk the staircase.

So far, I've mostly focused on Dreamlands 4th and Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man to give them their own "QOUK" but with the end goal of finding the Gate knowledge. I need to rely on published materials for a lot of what I do as I have limited prep time.

Tentative plan:

1) Staircase as presented in Dreamlands

2) Intro to the Lost Woods and Ulthar

3) Suggestion to visit Randolph Carter, loosely following the Ilek-Vad chapter of Sense. Along the way they meet the Black Man and get their first real introduction to one of the major Outer Gods of my campaign (so far it has been just lesser independent races). Saving Randolph Carter will get them the knowledge they need.

4) Seek out The Book of Keys and Gates highlighted in Sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other Dreamlands scenarios that might fit into this? Or other "tasks" they may need to complete in order to "earn" the Book of Keys and Gates? I also considered that training/practice of the Dreaming skill could be a component. They will have to warp their experience to ultimately get the book. I will not be using the "notch" system in Sense.

Update: I think that I'd also like to add another sandbox option where they can get a tip to visit a sage/sorcerer that can give them insight on the main campaign villain (Serpent People).

Edited by klecser

I think you're being very kind to your PCs, allowing them to quest for such power with their sanity intact.

You could spice it up, in Imprisoned with the Pharaohs, HP Lovecraft introduces Nyarlathotep as a false friend, someone who deliberately leads people astray. In The Haunter of the Dark, Nyarlathotep takes the forms of a monstrous being which accepts sacrifice and provides insane insights which may or may not provide any value whatsoever for the recipients. Another story, Dreams in the Witch House, Nyarlathotep is attracted to a seeker of knowledge who ultimately meets his doom. In the story Nyarlathotep, the god brings doom upon the entire world (maybe), leading those he meets into desolation by entrancing them with wonder.

I wonder if Nyarlathotep could take the guise of a cat of Ulthar? 

25 minutes ago, EricW said:

Agreed. You asked for suggestions, I provided a suggestion. You don’t have to accept it.

Eric, your "suggestion" was: "I don't think you're playing the game right." That isn't a suggestion. I didn't ask for your opinion on how I handle my group or how I Keep. I posed specific questions in my post. And you didn't contribute to either of them.

Edited by klecser

Let's not do this. 

Despite my rule (as King of RPGs) that everyone play how I want, I understand that everyone wants (unbelievably) to play things their own way. ; ). 

Seriously, we all do things a little different from time to time, so let's play and write nice, please.

In terms of Dreamlands scenarios  - you already have Sense of the Slight of Hand Man, and the Dreamlands book - reworking one the Dreamlands scenarios sounds a easy way forward. Alternatively, The Dreaming Stone  (OOP) offers a full campaign.  

We are working on a new edition of Dreamlands, and a score of new dream scenarios, but I'm afraid they are not ready yet, so don't help you at this time. One idea is to pick a scenario you like, and transpose into the Dreamlands.

The plan you have looks great - go with it! 

• Like 1