BRP 4th Edition Damage Question

Hello everybody! New member here! (Kinda pretentious to proclaim this, but I'm new to the forums and the system in general, so expect some rudimentary questions).

I'm not too certain if this question has been asked before as I can't find anything about it on the internet. Given that, can anyone fill me up on why "Full Damage" and "Normal Damage" is differentiated on the core rules for Basic Roleplaying 4th Edition (Specifically on the Parry/Dodge Matrix)? This is the same case for the retroclone G.O.R.E and the Quick Start edition. Maybe I've just missed something, but I've read the Official Errata/Corrections PDF of the Big Gold Book and "Full Damage" literally has no difference from "Normal Damage".

I'd appreciate a clarification, thank you.

• Like 1

On the official BRP corrections PDF, it says this:

[Definition of the term “FULL DAMAGE”. The term “Full Damage” crops up several times in the Attack & Defense Matrix. Precisely, it refers to “the damage which that type of attack would normally do”. It is not the same as “Maximum Damage”]

Which confuses me even more. I'll give the book another thorough skim, I might have missed something.

Are you talking about the text on page 193? If so then a critical does the maximum rolled damage and you roll your normal damage bonus. So a person with a weapon that does 1d8 damage and has a +1d4 damage modifier would inflict (8)+1d4 damage (and bypass armor) on a critical, 1d8+1d4 damage plus the weapon's special effect on a special, and rolled damage minus armor on a normal success.

The footnote at the bottom of the matrix explains it and the body text around the table goes into more detail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick J. said:

Are you talking about the text on page 193? If so then a critical does the maximum rolled damage and you roll your normal damage bonus. So a person with a weapon that does 1d8 damage and has a +1d4 damage modifier would inflict (8)+1d4 damage (and bypass armor) on a critical, 1d8+1d4 damage plus the weapon's special effect on a special, and rolled damage minus armor on a normal success.

The footnote at the bottom of the matrix explains it and the body text around the table goes into more detail.

You're a good man Nick!  I take back half the things I have said about you!

• Haha 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!