Masks London advice

Gman

Hello, I'm running Masks and my players are nearing the end of the London chapter.  They are about to investigate Edale and Misr House.  Problem is that the Full Moon was a last week and the new moon will be in about one weeks time (sorry I dont the calendar near me for specific dates.

How do I allow the players to follow up on the Edale mystery involving Plum castle and still maintain the momentum they have built for the England climax?  I can't make it be a full moon one day and then a new moon a couple days later.

Thanks is for any ideas

Gary

Edited by Gman
Misspelled word

Travel arrangements (and waiting for the ship) might take several days. If the players know of an event happening during a new moon, they probably won't have issue an with waiting for it to investigate (since it likely won't delay them anyway). Indeed, it might be handy that they've made their travel arrangements before investigating (possibly for travelling the day after the new moon even), so they can leave quickly (to avoid authorities and recapture some of the rushed feeling).

Depending on how it goes and how much engagement they have with Lawrence or Arthur, one of them could be firm that they can't go through another transformation again, encouraging players to act before a full moon.

You can also throw a complete curve ball at them. Eloise has gone through enough "full moon transformations" to no longer "require" a fool moon. The "Fool Moon" has now turned into a red herring...

22 hours ago, mvincent said:

Travel arrangements (and waiting for the ship) might take several days. If the players know of an event happening during a new moon, they probably won't have issue an with waiting for it to investigate (since it likely won't delay them anyway). Indeed, it might be handy that they've made their travel arrangements before investigating (possibly for travelling the day after the new moon even), so they can leave quickly (to avoid authorities and recapture some of the rushed feeling).

Thanks for the reply.  I should have been more clear.  The party is already in london so travel time will not require weeks to get to Edale.

The full moon was a week ago, so if the pcs are to experience the Derbyshire Horror during a full moon then it would be about 3 weeks from now, meanwhile the New moon is about a week from now.  

So if the pcs head to edale to investigate Henson Manufacturing or The Derbyshire Horror and remain there until the next full moon then they would miss the the New Moon and the Grand Rite/climax of England. ...

I think I just answered  my own question LOL. They can't be in 2 places at once and will have to decide which they want to experience and the rest will play out without their being involved.

Thanks

• Like 1

19 hours ago, klecser said:

Depending on how it goes and how much engagement they have with Lawrence or Arthur, one of them could be firm that they can't go through another transformation again, encouraging players to act before a full moon.

You can also throw a complete curve ball at them. Eloise has gone through enough "full moon transformations" to no longer "require" a fool moon. The "Fool Moon" has now turned into a red herring...

Thanks for the reply.

I like this idea and will run through the potential events with that in mind.  This would alter the story but allow the players to experience both.  Normally I wouldn't care but one of the players seems very excited to hunt down a "Werewolf "

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Gman said:

Normally I wouldn't care but one of the players seems very excited to hunt down a "Werewolf "

In the old version of Masks, she actually WAS a werewolf. The designers realized (I think rightly so) that having the werewolf angle be a attractive red herring made for a more interesting scenario than foreshadowing a werewolf and then getting a werewolf. Breaking the Full Moon "rule" should really emphasize this. The less players know about "how things work" the better the dramatic horror.

21 hours ago, klecser said:

Yes - ghouls aren't werewolves - the change can happen when you want. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gman said:

if the pcs head to edale to investigate Henson Manufacturing or The Derbyshire Horror and remain there until the next full moon then they would miss the the New Moon and the Grand Rite/climax of England. ...

Ah: I misread (and thought your group had just completed Derbyshire). In that case, I'd let your group decide:

• they'd probably opt to check out Misr House first (assuming they are aware of the moon timing), but
  • even if they check out Derbyshire first, they might decide (in order not to waste weeks waiting around) to leave, check out Misr House, then return.
  • If you're worried that they'll want to leave England after checking out Misr house;. missing Derbyshire doesn't necessarily seem like a bad thing, but
  • if you still really want them to go to Derbyshire afterward, you could then  tell them their ship does not leave until well after the full moon anyway.
Edited by mvincent
  • Like 1