[GMs] How would you respond to this?

islan

Then you ask the player to roll for the damage he has done.

"12 points? Very good, that has stung the monster a bit and made him mad."

"Gulp!"

"As you are standing right next to the monster, it gets the double to it's skill. A hit and lets see now, 52 points of damage. Are you wearing any armour?"

:D

Works for me. After all that effort, the target still isn't standing still, it is

still grappling with its primary opponent. Its head could still move/shift

before the trigger actually fully engages, causing more of a glancing blow

off the skull, or destroying an ear ...

But, if a hit locations are used, 12 HP to the head means a 36 HP creature

is going to be in pain. Or, if not, a 24 HP creature just got a Major Wound.

And, if a crit is rolled ...

-V

Well the abhorrent monster was only a little bigger (maybe Size 15) and an average Con (maybe 14), so yeah, that damage would certainly be lethal to it.

And from the condition of the grapple as described between the player and GM, the monster was basically on top of the player, thus a bigger target, and couldn't break the hold and therefore could not move.

I don't think I'm ever gonna use BRP to run horror ever again, ironically.

Well the abhorrent monster was only a little bigger (maybe Size 15) and an average Con (maybe 14), so yeah, that damage would certainly be lethal to it.

And from the condition of the grapple as described between the player and GM, the monster was basically on top of the player, thus a bigger target, and couldn't break the hold and therefore could not move.

I don't think I'm ever gonna use BRP to run horror ever again, ironically.

That's your choice - but I think it's a mistake - as cjbowser says, BRP is very well suited to Horror. Just don't use physical monsters to create the horror - ghostly presences, possessions, twisted influences and situations that put the characters in moral dilemmas and confront them with unpalatable choices. There are lots of ways to side step a particular players gun focused tricks - send in a dimensional shambler next time and both characters are grappled to the shambler when it shifts (and once it starts shifting, it finishes shifting whether it's alive or dead...)

:D

Nick

Player (after missing several times): "I run up to the monster that is grappling with my friend, put the barrel of my gun to it and pull the trigger."

How would the BRP rules respond to this? How would you, as a GM, respond to this (if different from the last question)?

Ok Make a shotgun roll with a +30%

If that didn't kill the monster Id then let it attack him at +30% and without allowing him a dodge roll. After all whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Seat of the pants GMing, moi? :D

Edited by AikiGhost

Um

Could you not treat the handgun as a Melee Weapon? (I'd probably be generous and let player use their highest Melee skill)

After all rather than take aim at distance (s)he is instead ducking under beasties guard to touch them with a weapon (like Melee!) they aren't needing to connect with any force which makes it easier but they are needing to pull the trigger at the right moment (which makes it harder) so I'd say that these even out.

Depending on situation character should probably get bonuses for outnumbering and attacking from flank and blah blah blah

Al

Followed by

As I noted, the problem is you don't have to just get the barrel up against them; you have to get it up against them and pull the trigger before they've moved away again. After all, there's no reason for a creature to just stand around as you're poking it with a handgun barrel.

Doing this right is, I'd expect, not trivial.

Colour me confused

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Followed by

Colour me confused

Just a difference of perspective and conclusion. It'd be a non-issue if this was some sort of charged contact weapon; at that point AI would be clearly right. My opinion is the timing issue is more critical than the force issue; he thinks its the other way around.