Spam fighting!

Trifletraxor

As we've had a recent spam-wave, there's been added a security question at the registration:

What is the three letter acronym for Basic Role Playing?

It should stop spambots pretty well, but is it too difficult for those who have no experience with BRP before?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

As we've had a recent spam-wave, there's been added a security question at the registration:

What is the three letter acronym for Basic Role Playing?

It should stop spambots pretty well, but is it too difficult for those who have no experience with BRP before?

SGL.

Well, you've capitalized the first letter of each word and explicitly asked for an acronym. Hopefully they'll pick up on that.

Well, you've capitalized the first letter of each word and explicitly asked for an acronym. Hopefully they'll pick up on that.

Hmm... That's true. What about this?

A beetle has X number of legs. What is X? Please answer using lowercase letters only.

Answer should be "six".

SGL.

Edited by Trifletraxor

Sounds easy enough to me, maybe a slight clarification in case someone doesn't know what a beetle is.

A beetle, like all insects, has x number of legs. What is x? Please answer using lower case letters only.

Is this a competition? :party: Whoever comes up wit the bestest and mostest questions gets a bowl of beetle soup?

Which American company produces the games Call of Cthulhu and Basic Roleplaying? One word only.

Answer: Chaosium

Sounds easy enough to me, maybe a slight clarification in case someone doesn't know what a beetle is.

A beetle, like all insects, has x number of legs. What is x? Please answer using lower case letters only.

Thanks, good idea! :)

Is this a competition? :party: Whoever comes up wit the bestest and mostest questions gets a bowl of beetle soup?

Maybe a hambeetle burger?

Which American company produces the games Call of Cthulhu and Basic Roleplaying? One word only.

Answer: Chaosium

This wouldn't only stop bots, but ignorant fools too! :D

SGL.

Can't you set it so you have to approve membership?

I do that with the Alternate Earth RQ group and haven't had any spam yet, although we don't have as many members as BRP Central.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Can't you set it so you have to approve membership?

Yes, I could do that. But then new members would have to wait some time before being able to post, maybe days if I was away from the PC. It's certainly an option though, if the spam-problem got too big to handle otherwise.

SGL.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I registered here a while ago, after a suggestion made on rpg.net. I have, however, been entirely a lurker.

I received a Private Message from another board member named Jessie, who appears to have as little real presence here as I do.

The message was as follows:

Hi,

I'm new here, how's it going?

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage" - Lao Tzu

---

Jessie

Wisdom

I don't know if 'Jessie' is a legitimate member, but this struck me as being a bit suspicious. This seemed like the appropriate subforum to mention it.

(...)I received a Private Message from another board member named Jessie, who appears to have as little real presence here as I do.(...)

I don't know if 'Jessie' is a legitimate member, but this struck me as being a bit suspicious.(...)

I received the same message. I wonder what this 'Jessie' was trying to achieve... :confused:
RPGbericht (Dutch)

Guest Vile Traveller

Spreading website addresses in one's sig! Who would do such a dastardly deed?! :eek:

;)

That message from 'Jessie' is a standard spambot tactic, I'd be very surprised if there was a human behind it.

Spreading website addresses in one's sig! Who would do such a dastardly deed?! :eek:

Speaking of which, the Spica link in your sig seems to be broken.:ohwell:

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb