Universal aids for vassal knights

Uqbarian

4 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

When count Robert is knighted, do the PKs have to pay the value of their main manor (that is, £10) or the value of all of their holdings (for example if one PK has 5 manors he will pay £50 😱)??

All the manors they hold from Robert. If they hold 5 manors of £10 each, yes, this means £50.

And if they are very Loyal (16+), especially if they are also Famously Generous, they might even pitch in from their other manors.

17 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

How could they possibly reunite £50 from scratch?

Who says it is from scratch? They know how old Robert is. The talk about the knighting ought to start happening like the previous year. They likely have loot etc. They can start gathering money. They can Squeeze. They can raid, hire themselves (and their household knights) as mercenaries, etc.

With great power comes great responsibility.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Morien said:
On 2/6/2022 at 1:24 PM, The Wanderer said:

When count Robert is knighted, do the PKs have to pay the value of their main manor (that is, £10) or the value of all of their holdings (for example if one PK has 5 manors he will pay £50 😱)??

All the manors they hold from Robert. If they hold 5 manors of £10 each, yes, this means £50.

And if they are very Loyal (16+), especially if they are also Famously Generous, they might even pitch in from their other manors.

I've never been  so mean to my players 😀 I usually consider that their peasants who directly pay this kind of taxes.

36 minutes ago, Tizun Thane said:

I've never been  so mean to my players 😀 I usually consider that their peasants who directly pay this kind of taxes.

To be honest, I have not really been nasty enough, either, about this. But it is for the vassals to pay for their liege, not for the vassal's peasants (except indirectly, by Squeezing and such).

I see KAP 5.1 already specifies 'primary holding'. I wonder why? It doesn't seem right that if the liege grants an additional manor to a vassal, he doesn't get the Universal Aid out of it. I choose to read this that 'primary' in this case means 'holding held in vassalage from this lord'.

I wouldn't do it, either - maybe charging everyone 1 Librum per Salisbury estate. I don't feel so bad about it - the group not only rebuilt the walls of Sarum, but built three fortresses (two practically in the spots the BotW suggests), so I feel as if they've paid plenty.

Let's not forget it's not just Robert's knighting they need to pay for during Anarchy - it's Jenna's dowry as well.

6 hours ago, SaxBasilisk said:

I wouldn't do it, either - maybe charging everyone 1 Librum per Salisbury estate. I don't feel so bad about it - the group not only rebuilt the walls of Sarum, but built three fortresses (two practically in the spots the BotW suggests), so I feel as if they've paid plenty.

Let's not forget it's not just Robert's knighting they need to pay for during Anarchy - it's Jenna's dowry as well.

Maybe I'll do that, taking their DF seems painful enough, considering the tributes during these ages.

When does lady Jenna marry?

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

When does lady Jenna marry?

Whenever that happens in your game; there is no canonical date that I know of. In the Marriage of Count Roderick, Jenna is born in 484, so she would be turning 11 during 495, and no doubt a valuable marriage alliance possibility during Anarchy. It would actually make a lot more sense for Prince Mark to court Jenna rather than the almost past her childbearing years Countess, who has no claim to Salisbury, while Jenna is the heiress to everything if something were to happen to Robert. Jenna should probably marry around 500-505, based just on her age.

In our campaign, Sir Blains got killed at the Infamous Feast, and a personal recurring Levcomagus baddie seized the stewardship and invaded eastern Salisbury. He offered to returm those manors and an alliance in return for Jenna's hand in marriage (after she grew up a bit more), which the PKs recommended the Countess to take. This came to bite them in the fundament when they sided with Cornwall later on, and ended up in a very brutal feud with Levcomagus. And then Robert died during Arthur's reunification wars, leaving that Levcomagus guy with loads of personal beef with the PKs as the rightful ruler of Salisbury by the right of his wife. The Battle of Terrabil for the PKs was not about whether or not Arthur would win (they were fighting against him), but whether or not they would be able to get to this Levcomagus guy and kill him on the field of battle, hoping that widowed Jenna would be less anti-PKs. Well, turns out that they missed their goal by a hair (they got him to like -4 HP, but First Aid is a thing, and his bodyguards managed to roll the remaining PKs up). This lead to them being stripped of their lands and exiled to Cornwall (after some pleading from the lone PK who had switched sides a couple of years back and saved the Levcomagus guy's life, as well as now King Mark willing to pay double ransom for his favorite knights).

I have heard of campaigns where she has been married off to Cynric or to Prince Alain, and of course one common course is a usurping PK marrying her and taking Salisbury for himself and his cronies.

• Like 1

My game ended up marrying her off to Alain, *and* hid Robert alongside her in Carlion.

It was a wise move on the PK's behalf, especially as the years that followed had two invasions and one straight up betrayal in Salisbury against the Widow Countess

• Like 2

Søren A. Hjorth
- Freelancer Writer, Cultural Distributer, Font of Less Than Useless Knowledge
https://thenarrativeexploration.wordpress.com/