Is this use of Sorcery rules-legal? (2e Refreshed)

Warcaster

Hey guys. I hope this is the right place to ask:

Let's say I spent my 30 points during character creation to raise INT, DEX, and POW to 18, and chose to start as a Sorcerer (page 19). This gives me INT+40 in Sorcery Casting, or 58%.

Now, let's say I choose Enhance (DEX) as one of my spells. I have 18 magic points, and can spend a maximum of 5 (or 6 if it rounds up) points in each category (magnitude, range, duration) when casting the spell.

Can I spend 11 points to raise my DEX by 6 (1+5) for 4 hours (+5)? Can anything short of a Dispel 6 end the spell against my will (and before the duration runs out)?

Later on, when my Sorcery Casting is 100% or over, can I spend another +5 on Duration to make it last a whole week? Does this work for any stat (like SIZ as well)?

• Like 1

OpenQuest's Sorcery Rules are a direct descendant, with simplification and streamlining, of RQ3 Sorcery. The idea behind this system being that Gloranthan Wizards would learn spells, that boost abilties and skills, and then cast them on their warrior counter-parts. Its never explciity stated and there's no restriction to enforce it, so most players cast it on their characters. I think of more martial-sorcery casters like this as being Chinese Style Chi Powered Martial artists :) 

This one of the reasons why I suggest that Sorcerers and Divine Magic users are advanced character types not available at character generation, since if you qualfied for Sorcery later your warrior friend would have at least established their niche in play.   I'm aware that this is not a 100% solution, which is why for OpenQuest 3 I've given up on the three systems of magic  and its one magic system now.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

On 10/5/2019 at 6:52 AM, Warcaster said:

Thank you. I thought I was doing something wrong because my Sorcerer is better at melee than my friend's Warrior. 

Well, you're supposed to work as a team, and you should cast spells on him also.

I'm sure that he's better at fighting than you if you do so.

Edited by Mugen

On 10/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, Newt said:

I think of more martial-sorcery casters like this as being Chinese Style Chi Powered Martial artists :) 

That's a good flavor for it. 

My group is coming off from 5e, so we kinda leaned towards their classes. I envisioned a warrior clad in runed armor wielding a fiery sword lol Or a Paladin who self-buffs, but I didn't go for Divine Magic this time. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, Mugen said:

Well, you're supposed to work as a team, and you should cast spells on him also.

I'm sure that he's better at fighting than you if you do so.

I originally built a normal casty mage (just went for melee instead of ranged, since I figured my spells would cover range and I'd like to be good at Parry), but almost went down in one hit due to low Size and Con, so I decided I'd try buffing my defense stats a bit as not to go down in one hit again (was looking over spells to take with my IPs from last session). I then noticed that, if I buffed my offensive stats, I'd get slightly higher Combat than the Warrior (he has 16/13 on Str/Dex and I have 8/18. We both put 30 points in Combat). As of now, I wouldn't be able to do this, since he used his IPs to improve his Combat skill in-between sessions. I asked more out of curiosity, I intended to buff Size either way to get more HP.

I kinda built around elemental damage and utility, so I run out of points a bit too quickly to buff (thankfully we have another primary caster in the party focused a bit more on heals and support, and everybody got a few self-buff spells as well). We do help one another, though! 

55 minutes ago, Warcaster said:

I then noticed that, if I buffed my offensive stats, I'd get slightly higher Combat than the Warrior (he has 16/13 on Str/Dex and I have 8/18. We both put 30 points in Combat).

So, if you buff him using your spell, he'd have DEX 18, making him better than you. :)

55 minutes ago, Warcaster said:

I kinda built around elemental damage and utility, so I run out of points a bit too quickly to buff (thankfully we have another primary caster in the party focused a bit more on heals and support, and everybody got a few self-buff spells as well). We do help one another, though! 

A crucial spell to learn for all sorcerers is the one that lets you create MP storages. I don't remember its exact name, or if it's Sorcery or Spirit Magic...

22 minutes ago, Mugen said:

So, if you buff him using your spell, he'd have DEX 18, making him better than you. :)

Eh, could argue he's not so much better if he's relying on my magic 😏 (I get your point, though)

26 minutes ago, Mugen said:

A crucial spell to learn for all sorcerers is the one that lets you create MP storages. I don't remember its exact name, or if it's Sorcery or Spirit Magic...

Battle Magic. I learned it at magnitude 5. Haven't ran into any crystals to enchant yet, so I didn't spend any IPs to make the spell permanent (also I kinda want to wait until I have maxed Pow so I can make max-level storages permanent, instead of spending IP on low-level ones), but I've been enchanting my necklace before going to bed to use the magic the next day. Thankfully we're sticking around a town so I can afford to spend half the day casting and sleeping. Don't think it'll work too well during wilderness quests. 

Also, random question, but do these storages work for other mages? I could hand them out to my other party members if I end-up making them permanent, or maybe sell them. 

1 hour ago, Warcaster said:

Also, random question, but do these storages work for other mages? I could hand them out to my other party members if I end-up making them permanent, or maybe sell them. 

That's excellent question...

I think that, by default, such MP storages are usable by anone. But I'd allow the caster to restrict their use to one person, or a group of person.

Perhaps only for permanent ones ? Because, obviously, you don't want people to steal it...

Maybe at item's activation, decide that everyone touching it can use it, or anyone spending at least 1 MP during its creation.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 5:08 AM, Warcaster said:

Eh, could argue he's not so much better if he's relying on my magic 😏 (I get your point, though)

Rather than a who-is-better analysis, ask:  which-way-makes-the-party-stronger?

C'es ne pas un .sig