Dividing skills in combat and Passions

Greetings.

I have Pendragon 5.1 (the Spanish version is 5.1, so it´s the one I have) so I don´t know if this is answered in the 5.2 version.

Imagine that I have 18 in Sword, and I am fighting against two enemies. I know that when you are mounted, and they are not, the modifier is applied after dividing the skill roll (for example, I apply 9 against each one, +5, 14 against each enemy).

What happen when you add Passions to a roll? Are they added before dividing, modifying the original skill? Or after dividing? So, in the above example, if I have +10 from a successful Passion roll and I´m fighting against two enemies...

Do i have 14 (18+10=28, 28/2=14) or 19 against each enemy (18/2=9. 9+10=19). I guess it is the prior one, so you add before dividing, but I wanted to be sure. Last session one player was saved because we were adding the modifier after the divide, but now we are talking about it and he thinks he won undeservedly and feels a bit dirty, so this is why I am asking.

Thank you. I recently bought this game, and my players are loving it.

Since Passion modifies the Skill itself, you add it before you divide the Skill.

However, since reflexive modifiers depend on the opponent, too, I always apply those after dividing.

So let's say we have Knight A with Sword 18, impassioned +10 to 28, on a horse and fighting against two other knights (B and C, Sword 15 each) on foot. Knight A can divide his 28 any which way he wants, but let's be boring and say it is 14 and 14. Now, because he is mounted and B and C are not, +5/-5 modifier applies against each of them, resulting in 19 vs. 10 match-up.

Yes, this is great as long as you are on a horse, but if we flip the situation and A is on foot and B and C are mounted, the match-up becomes 9 vs. 20.

You add the inspiration bonus to the skill before dividing, this is true of most modifiers.

The exception is something like a height bonus, which is applied for each opponent, as you might not have it against everyone you are fighting).

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:20 PM, Morien said:

Since Passion modifies the Skill itself, you add it before you divide the Skill.

However, since reflexive modifiers depend on the opponent, too, I always apply those after dividing.

So let's say we have Knight A with Sword 18, impassioned +10 to 28, on a horse and fighting against two other knights (B and C, Sword 15 each) on foot. Knight A can divide his 28 any which way he wants, but let's be boring and say it is 14 and 14. Now, because he is mounted and B and C are not, +5/-5 modifier applies against each of them, resulting in 19 vs. 10 match-up.

Yes, this is great as long as you are on a horse, but if we flip the situation and A is on foot and B and C are mounted, the match-up becomes 9 vs. 20.

If B is on foot and C is on horse. It means A vs B is 19 vs 10 and  A vs C becomes 14 vs 15.

As Morien explained so well. reflexive modifiers are used after dividing the skill, because these can differ for each opponent, while the passion is not.