Magic skill roll

HANZO

I got my players to make out characters last night. Two of the three played runequest with me back in the day but one was new to BRP, well new to gaming all together. I ran a Victorian era monster hunt game based on the savage worlds setting "rippers". league of extraordinary gentlemen meets van helsing. Which is my regular weekly game.

I forgot to have two of the players put points into spell casting. One is a monk, the other a Rosicrucian mage. I use the optional rules that attributes add to skills through the bonuses. I noticed there isn't one for spell casting as its not on the basic sheet with skills. Which is why I skipped it by accident. We winged it for the first game.

I want to have this added. how does primary POW, secondary INT sound?

Now I got to shoe horn in their spell casting skills. not sure if I should just give them another point pool to just work them up and add them to the character now. Or totally remake the character. damn.

... I forgot to have two of the players put points into spell casting. One is a monk, the other a Rosicrucian mage. I use the optional rules that attributes add to skills through the bonuses. I noticed there isn't one for spell casting as its not on the basic sheet with skills. Which is why I skipped it by accident. We winged it for the first game.

I want to have this added. how does primary POW, secondary INT sound?

The RQIII / Monograph BRP Magic Skill bonus was INT and POW primary, DEX secondary, but there's no particular reason to stick to that unless you are planning to use the Basic Magic PDF (which is the RQIII magic BOOK / BRP Magic Book monograph in PDF form); and even then, if all Magic skill category modifiers are calculated the same way it shouldn't matter.

Now I got to shoe horn in their spell casting skills. not sure if I should just give them another point pool to just work them up and add them to the character now. Or totally remake the character. damn.

I think the only fair options are that either everyone gets to re-jig their skills whilst the magic using characters re arrange the numbers to add their spells, OR you give all the PC's a block of points, the magic using characters must spend them on spells and magic, and the non magic user can spend them on skills.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

Yeah, I'm more along the lines of "Happy birthday everyone, you have x amount more skill points to spend."

That's probably how I'd handle things, if it would be too much work to refactor the two spellcasters.

Well if the author agrees with you then it appears that you are probably right......

I'd go for bonus extra skill points as well, partly for ease and also because I have a real cob on about low skill chances in rpgs so any chance to improve things is cool by me. (So I'd just give them the full 'profession skill pool' again but if you don't have the same hangups as me you'd probably go for less)

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Yeah that sounds good. Think ill just give them a small magic pool for doing spell skills. I talked to the one non magic playing player in the game and he is cool with it. I guess its easy when your players are your 3 brothers. They take it easy on me. lol

Thanks every one for the help and advice.

well I was kind of leaning that way any how. Since Our next session will be starting later and not really give a lot of time to re-due the charaters. This is just a test run any how getting the players re-used to the system and introducing the noob to it. Im going to keep my rippers game savage worlds. But Im thinking of taking my freeport game to BRP.