Gaming in The Night Land

Hi everyone. About a month or two ago, I finished reading William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land and I was inspired to make a campaign about it. Right now, I am working on a different campaign at the moment but I hope to get to it once I am finished with my current campaign.

Has anyone else on this forum tried gaming in the Night Land? The setting is so fantastic that I am surprised that nobody has made anything with it, especially since it is the public domain.

What do you guys think? Would this make a great game setting?

Edited by Old Man Henerson
Spelling
  • Like 1

I had the same thought after reading The Night Land, and it turns out no less a person than Sandy Petersen has had thoughts about using the setting as well.

https://nightland.website/index.php/background/essays/194-gaming-in-the-night-land

I've not tried it myself, but a cold world orbiting a dead sun, where human beings take refuge in a fortified structure menaced by almost incomprehensible forces would have great potential. One would have to give some thought to what remained in the Night Lands to explore or rescue, beyond obscure menaces, but the setting is very evocative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fenspar said:

I had the same thought after reading The Night Land, and it turns out no less a person than Sandy Petersen has had thoughts about using the setting as well.

https://nightland.website/index.php/background/essays/194-gaming-in-the-night-land

I've not tried it myself, but a cold world orbiting a dead sun, where human beings take refuge in a fortified structure menaced by almost incomprehensible forces would have great potential. One would have to give some thought to what remained in the Night Lands to explore or rescue, beyond obscure menaces, but the setting is very evocative.

There are always more secrets to find, not to mention you could have PCs who are not familiar with the book go on an adventure through it, perhaps even have them trace the protagonist's path through the book. I believe he left out entire portions of the land that you could go exploring through, not to mention what ever mission you have for the PCs could take them up beyond the walls of the canyon and into the icy ruins of the old world above where they could learn the true reason the earth has fallen into darkness. The Possibilities are endless.

I found that site awhile ago myself. Probably for the same reasons you did.  I copied all the stats and gathered some of the best pictures I found and have now been working on a world book in a word document for privet use.  I still have a lot of work to do, but I think that this would make one of the best game settings in recent years.