Savage Worlds Edges & Hindrances In BRP

Skunkape

The thing is, that you this, and I know this about BRP characters. We know that "Attractive" is covered by a higher-the-average APP characteristic, and that Nobles with a high Status skill might allow them to through their weight around during a game.

We know this, because we've had loads of experience with BRP, and have internalized what the numbers mean. Player new to the system don't know this, and have no association between the numbers and what they "mean" during the actual play experience.

What the Edges and Hindrances from Savage World do is, in addition to giving solid, easy to understand rule-related advice on how to play in character, they are also a shorthand for character, expressed in a way even newbies can get. For some, "I am a Gearhead, and I get a +2 bonus to Repair and Technology Rolls" speaks to them in a way "I have an INT of 16 and Repair and Technology skills in the 70% range" doesn't.

For me, I think the combination of percentiles (Easy to grasp) and character related Bonuses (from edges or similar systems) is a double-win situation.

They are character-creating tools, more than anything else. And anything that increases my player's ability to get into their character, without adding too much tedium or minutia, is always good at the table. For me, Savage Worlds works because it provides clear advice for the GM on how to use these systems.

Options are always good as long as they fit.

The biggest issue that I personally have with this mechanism is how to fit them into the system. The only way that I can see would be to replace the issuance of skill points with a certain number of picks at character generation, or to use them as another powers system to give extra flavor.

Something that might be of more utility for new players could be a series of pre-gen characters as examples of what can be done with the system. A Gadgeteer for example that uses skills and superpowers, a "Paladin" using skills and sorcery, etc.

For what its worth, I like many of the Hinderances... very good options for SAN issues or for situations when you have to come up with an effect of characteristic loss after illness or poisoning, etc.

SDLeary

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think that it is easy to introduce edges and hindrances of SW to BRP. In fact I think its in most cases contra-productive. SW is totally different in many things (ok some are similar - like classless-ness) and many edges develope its best and most logical effects if you use them in conjunction with the SW rule tactical movement system and miniatures/floorplans.

So are you ready to use such a tactical rule system for BRP too? (and with tactical rule system I dont mean the use of miniatures for positioning purposes - I mean a real rule and combat system) So if you dont intend to use minis, then you could rule out many of the edges of SW on from the beginning.

I played BRP for nearly 20y exclusively but since 1,5y I got fond of SW. Its so different. The whole emphasis on haptic game experience (mini use) and extreme fast action is refreshing. Of course BRP is still good IMO but has a different gaming philosophy. And I would never ever mix those 2 systems. Like salt and sugar - does not taste.

• 4 years later...

Something happened to the conversion document I was working on with the switch to the new forum. So I removed the link to the doc. I'll upload a newer version of the document when I get home tonight as I no longer have it on my laptop.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I've posted the new conversion document to the site. I couldn't find the original one I had started, but could be on my backup drive, which I haven't search through yet.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I have a similar project, Pulp Edges for the Legend system.  Kind of a mix of legendary abilities, common magic, and feats from D&D.  I've tried to keep away from giving characters straight up bonuses to their skills, it is either situational, or allows them to use their skill in a way they couldn't ordinarily do.   

Not sure if you have seen the Blood Tide thread, but we were speaking about Blood Tide's use of Stunts, which is a good Feat system if you want to play a cinematic BRP setting. I't kind relevant to this thread, so I just thought I'd cross post to make sure it wasn't overlooked:

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"