Recruiting for PbF HQG Campaign

jajagappa

With the recent conclusion to the Quest for Orane (see: Orane Regained! ), it is time to begin a new chapter in the life of the Orlmarth clan of the Colymar.  We come next to the Feast of Beasts and the story from Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes in the year 1618 S.T.

While my current players are continuing, we are recruiting 1-2 additional players as it is a new story/new chapter with opportunity to start at its beginning.

This is a Play-by-Post campaign on RPGGeek.  If you want to get a feel for the game, the last "chapter" is here: Orlmarth Campaign: the Quest for Orane

Posting frequency is generally 3-4 times a week, but definitely looking for players who are willing to invest time over a half year or more period (PbF games are not "quick" and have their own flow, but offer a lot of opportunity to narrate and develop character). Familiarity with HQG is not required as it's fairly straightforward to pick up. Familiarity with Glorantha/Orlanthi tribes will be useful, but again not required. There is no need in advance to know "what's gone before".

For reference, our current characters include: Orlanthi warrior, Orlanthi god-talker, merchant, sage of Lhankor Mhy, assistant shaman, and hunter. 

My general game guidelines:
d10-1 It is intended to be a fun and player-friendly game
d10-2 We use the HeroQuest Glorantha system
d10-3 No familiarity with the setting or system is required, and we're happy to help get someone up-to-speed
d10-4 Posting varies but typically is every couple days [real-life intervenes with all of us in the game]
d10-5 If you can't post for a period of time, that's not a problem, but easier to plan if we know in advance  

If interested or have any questions, please note in the thread below. 

• Like 2

A quick check, what does a post consist of? 500 words or a few paragraphs? 

jajagappa, if you can accept as little as one post a week (I should be able to make the three or so posts you suggest most of the time), I would absolutely  love to try a game with you. I have no knowledge of HQ but do understand Glorantha reasonably well. Now note, to point one I hate fun and many say I am quite serious (do not expect any ad libs or jokes). Let me know if this is of interest to you and your players.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

15 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

A quick check, what does a post consist of? 500 words or a few paragraphs? 

jajagappa, if you can accept as little as one post a week (I should be able to make the three or so posts you suggest most of the time), I would absolutely  love to try a game with you. I have no knowledge of HQ but do understand Glorantha reasonably well. Now note, to point one I hate fun and many say I am quite serious (do not expect any ad libs or jokes). Let me know if this is of interest to you and your players.

Cheers

A post is a response (usually to something I've indicated as GM) about what the character is saying or doing - short paragraph is typical.  May include a roll on an ability as part of a contest.

For instance below is a short paragraph for one character (Gavran) followed by a response from another character (Dargor), the latter including an identification of a contest he wants to try to figure out identifying ability used, an augment, and then making his roll:

With Bobab's support, a wincing Gavran crawl/shuffles over to look at the party's hard-won prize.

"Hmm," he muses, "could that beast rune in the middle possibly be our current location? It seems appropriate for the Lady of the Wilds and her hunt..."

"You mean the black one?" Dargor replies. "Yes, that could be. On the other hand: this is the Fang Place, which could be represented by a combination of Beast and Plant. And you have two other places on this "map" with these rune combination."
"There seems to be a ship or a boat on the left side, and the Water rune marks the black line. So this could be kind of a river, but that's something we have not yet seen so far."
"I'm trying to map this scribbling to what we have seen so far, but it seems not to match ... and there are several signs, which I have no idea, what they mean."
Dargor uses his ability Tracking @20 (or if that's matching better, his occupational keyword hunter @19), augmenting it with his mythical knowledge based on his cultural keyword Heortling @13. He tries to find any similarities to the locations and paths, that the group has already seen and used during their stay on the Otherside ...
Match the carapace map with, what we've seen so far: 14

My posts can be longer at times to describe scene, narrate the words of NPC's, etc. so there is usually a bit of reading to do. It's really not much different from posting on these forums. 

HQG itself is very straightforward and narrative, though can be a bit of a mind-shift if you're used to RQ and more simulationist games. 

And I've been on the Forums long enough to know how serious you are. 😜

If that sounds of interest, I'll direct you over to the Forums and we can introduce you to HQ and get you going on character creation.

3 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

And I've been on the Forums long enough to know how serious you are. 😜

I resent the implications of that remark my good sir... well, I will need help with the rules I am afraid... 

7 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

If that sounds of interest, I'll direct you over to the Forums and we can introduce you to HQ and get you going on character creation.

and also in finding the forums you are referring to... so in the words of one of the good doctors... allons-y!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

30 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I will need help with the rules I am afraid... 

No worries for that! Everyone who's playing came new into HQ, and some are still going through the learning curve for that. Will definitely help you get up to speed.

32 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

also in finding the forums you are referring to...

You will need to create an account on RPGGeek (which I see you've already done!)

And I've sent you the links in RPGGeek to our forum threads. 🙂

• 1 month later...

@jajagappa if you're still looking for players, I'm game to try this out. I haven't played in a PbF game in ages (and TBH none of those were particularly successful), but I've been wanting to try out HQG for some time now. Plus, someone's got to balance out Bill's quackery.

Just let me know. 

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Well now I wonder how this doing 4 months in I would think.

The Feast of Beasts progresses! 🙂  

A bit slower than usual with everyone dealing with coronavirus and usual demands of real-life, but that's been the norm over the years. (The overall campaign will hit 6 years this summer, though none of the original players remain.)