Help with Tarsh Exiles

justy

Greetings all,

I'm planning a Runequest campaign set around tribe of Tarsh Exiles. The startpoint for the campaign would be year 1625. I've been researching them for a while from books and from this excellent forum, but I still have some questions.

1) What is the relationship betwen Fazzur and Tarsh Exiles? Based on decades of fighting between Lunar Tarhs and Tarhs Exiles, I'd assume they hate each other. Yet both of Fazzur's sons seem to be allowed into Wintertop: Onjur is there making claims for becoming king of Wintertop, and Annstad is initiated into cult of Orlanth. The only possible reason I've found is that the Exiles are grateful for help they got against Tusk Riders. Was the situation so bad that this help is enough to forget past wars?

2) In the map of Dragonpass provided with rule book, there are two kinds of roads. The solid white lines seem to represent the best roads, for example Lunar roads or Sartar Royal roads. There are also dotted lines, which I assume are "trade roads" mentioned in rule book. Are the roads from Bagnot or Wintertop to Dragonewt Wilds passable for mounted travellers and pack animals? Or do you have to go through Dragon Pass in south or Koffer Holls in north?

3) Is it possible for traders or travellers to use roads that cross Dragonewt Wilds? From Guide to Glorantha I got impression that it's not advisable for humans to travel through Dragonewt Wilds but there are lots of roads passing through that area, most that even go through Dragon's Eye.

Those are the specific questions I have in mind. If anyone has any suggestions for additional information on Tarsh Exiles, I'd be happy to know. I'm not for example familiar with the sourcebooks published for other RPGs set in Glorantha.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, justy said:

Greetings all,

I'm planning a Runequest campaign set around tribe of Tarsh Exiles. The startpoint for the campaign would be year 1625. I've been researching them for a while from books and from this excellent forum, but I still have some questions.

1) What is the relationship betwen Fazzur and Tarsh Exiles? Based on decades of fighting between Lunar Tarhs and Tarhs Exiles, I'd assume they hate each other. Yet both of Fazzur's sons seem to be allowed into Wintertop: Onjur is there making claims for becoming king of Wintertop, and Annstad is initiated into cult of Orlanth. The only possible reason I've found is that the Exiles are grateful for help they got against Tusk Riders. Was the situation so bad that this help is enough to forget past wars?

These are tribes, with lots of overlap. Fazzur's wife was from Bagnot and decided from the kings of Old Tarsh. Through his wife, Fazzur is linked with the Shaker's Temple. Fazzur is an open-minded, very educated, honourable, and fair man - "if only he wasn't a Lunar, he'd be our king!" Fazzur tries to hold things together despite his feud with his nephew; his sons, Onjur and Annstad have no such restraints.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, justy said:

1) What is the relationship betwen Fazzur and Tarsh Exiles? Based on decades of fighting between Lunar Tarsh and Tarsh Exiles, I'd assume they hate each other. Yet both of Fazzur's sons seem to be allowed into Wintertop: Onjur is there making claims for becoming king of Wintertop, and Annstad is initiated into cult of Orlanth. The only possible reason I've found is that the Exiles are grateful for help they got against Tusk Riders. Was the situation so bad that this help is enough to forget past wars?

The hatred of the Tarsh Exiles towards the Lunars is more one-way than it might first appear.  The Tarsh Exiles hate the Lunars, but the Lunars, being tempered by illumination are less inclined to hate the Tarsh Exiles, and while they consider them a distinct threat, they are a threat that shouldn't be stirred up.  The Earthshakers can potentially wreak terrible damage on Tarsh with earthquakes and dinosaurs, and so the Lunars seek to leave them alone, hoping that peace and Lunar culture will slowly "build a Starbucks around them".  Fazzur is widely respected by all sides in the Hero War, as more than any commander, he was sensitive to the cultures he encountered, and their powers, needs, and weaknesses.  Sadly Fazzur is undermined by the Lunar Hierarchy and his loyal officers purged in 1621 by Tatius the Bright.  The desposing of Fazzur is the beginning of the end for the Lunars, as Tatius, despite his victory at Whitewall, isn't all that bright after all, and ends his days in a Dragon's Belly with Dragon Pass in revolt.

33 minutes ago, justy said:

2) In the map of Dragonpass provided with rule book, there are two kinds of roads. The solid white lines seem to represent the best roads, for example Lunar roads or Sartar Royal roads. There are also dotted lines, which I assume are "trade roads" mentioned in rule book. Are the roads from Bagnot or Wintertop to Dragonewt Wilds passable for mounted travellers and pack animals? Or do you have to go through Dragon Pass in south or Koffer Holls in north?

The road between Bagnot and Wintertop are top quality. South of Wintertop the roads degenerate into what you call trade roads.  While it may seem logical for there to be a connection between Wintertop and Duck Point, there isn't one, but the territory is mainly gentle rolling hills and open plains.  The problem is that there are dragonewts, dinosaurs, roaming hunters from Beast Valley, and the occasional vampire and zombie roaming the area on a bad day.  Most traffic into Sartar therefore cuts across the Bush Range in the Bagnot-Falling Ruins-Dragons Eye-Runegate-Iristhold-Shaker Temple-Bagnot no-man's-land.  There are a number of trader roads in this area, and a crucial ford near Runegate.

43 minutes ago, justy said:

3) Is it possible for traders or travellers to use roads that cross Dragonewt Wilds? From Guide to Glorantha I got impression that it's not advisable for humans to travel through Dragonewt Wilds but there are lots of roads passing through that area, most that even go through Dragon's Eye.

The Dragonewts are only part of the problem.  It is a wild border country, and the only trader road goes via Smoking Ruin to connect with the north/south road between Queen's Post and Rich Post in the Grazelands.  The area is semi-contested by Dragonewts, Grazelanders, Beastmen, and the Vampires of the Upland Marsh, plus there are ducks around, and that means crime.  Not all ducks are grubby little bandits, just most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

These are tribes, with lots of overlap. Fazzur's wife was from Bagnot and decided from the kings of Old Tarsh. Through his wife, Fazzur is linked with the Shaker's Temple. Fazzur is an open-minded, very educated, honourable, and fair man - "if only he wasn't a Lunar, he'd be our king!" Fazzur tries to hold things together despite his feud with his nephew; his sons, Onjur and Annstad have no such restraints.

Asking with regards to the Orlanthi clan structure: is Fazzur considered a member of the same clan as his nephew? I'd imagine if they were not, it would not matter what his sons thought - they are embroiled in the collectivized hostility of clan feuds.

2 hours ago, Gallowglass said:

Just curious, have you read the Unspoken Word fanzine? Issues #1 and #3 have tons of great info on Lunar Tarsh and the Exiles. I don’t think it’s 100% canon anymore and it’s mostly written for Heroquest, but that shouldn’t stop you mining it for ideas.

No, I haven’t. Are they still available somewhere online?

On 2/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, Darius West said:

The road between Bagnot and Wintertop are top quality. South of Wintertop the roads degenerate into what you call trade roads.  While it may seem logical for there to be a connection between Wintertop and Duck Point, there isn't one, but the territory is mainly gentle rolling hills and open plains.  The problem is that there are dragonewts, dinosaurs, roaming hunters from Beast Valley, and the occasional vampire and zombie roaming the area on a bad day.  Most traffic into Sartar therefore cuts across the Bush Range in the Bagnot-Falling Ruins-Dragons Eye-Runegate-Iristhold-Shaker Temple-Bagnot no-man's-land.  There are a number of trader roads in this area, and a crucial ford near Runegate.

The road between Bagnot and Wintertop is significantly inferior to the Royal Roads of Sartar. It is a trade road. 

The roads between Wintertop and the Solthon Valley are poor trade roads.

IMG_4543.JPG

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Darius West said:

That is not what the Dragon Pass board game map displays, and it is now 1626, so the Hero Wars have begun, ergo that map is out of date.

It is however what Greg's Master Map says. Which was the fulcrum for everything Greg did - and was constantly worked on for 40 years. 

• Sad 1

On 2/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, justy said:

Greetings all,

Those are the specific questions I have in mind. If anyone has any suggestions for additional information on Tarsh Exiles, I'd be happy to know. I'm not for example familiar with the sourcebooks published for other RPGs set in Glorantha.

Also if I recall I put in quite a lot of material about the area around Wintertop into the Smoking Ruin.

• Like 1