Aurelius Shield

Atgxtg

Does anybody know if there is any desciption of what arms Aruelius bears upon his shield?I could see the two dragons that Uther later carries, or maybe a red dragon (the Cymric Dragon) per his Pendragon Banner.

Anybody know if his arms are described somewhere?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

It's anice shield, obviously made from Uther's. I kinda like the Red Wyveryn shield often attributed to Arthur too. 

I just started to introduce Heraldry in my campaign, and think I will give Aurelius the Red Welsh Dragon  (which is from the story of Vortigern's tower, and often identified with Aurelius) on a White Field. Of course, like many rulers, he could have multiple coats of arms- Arthur has a half dozen denoting his status as High King, King of Logres, etc.

We use paper minis printed on cardstock, and digitally edit the images with details like coat of arms to help customize them for given PKS and NPKs, and with the backup PKs members of the Princes' bodyguard, and a main PK currently serving as Uther's squire, I thought it was a good time to get custom minis for them.

5 hours ago, Morien said:

I like the Red Dragon on a white field, too, although I admit that I would be very tempted to just steal the modern Welsh flag: Per fess Argent and Vert, a dragon passant Gules.

Yes , it's nice. I went with:

image.png.ed6ee0d39f6e4296eee80f47e73ac626.png

But something like this:

image.png.db84f91d5e53b24f1a492e19190021e6.png

would look good too

The mini seems alright (reduced size/resolution since I use a commercial mini for the base figure)

image.png.065c5a8731816855d3193d766f107ad7.png

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

The white and green on the Welsh flag comes from the livery of the Tudor family and is wildly anachronistic for Aurelius, though of course any heraldry is, so I'd prefer the white or even  better a golden shield to match his brother. The dragon itself is associated with Cadwaladr in Welsh tradition, who is the descendant of Maelgwn, but Aurelius adopting one makes sense.

However there are arms assigned to Aurelius/Emrys in rolls of arms. W. Gurney Benham, in "Ancient Legends connected with the Arms of Colchester," in The Essex Review, v.9, on p.216 illustrates them (see below). They allude to his descent from Constantine and Coilus.

Arthur's three crowns are attributed originally to Constantine the Great. A variant Azure three antique crowns Or 2, 1 (or in pale as in Arthur's arms) is attributed to Beli Mawr and Cunobelinus. It seems to be the arms of the High Kingship, really.

Coilus is (also) assigned Azure three open crowns in bend Or.

Macsen Wledig is assigned the coat of arms of Rome: Or a double headed eagle displayed Sable.

Cunedda is assigned Sable three roses Argent 2,1.

Gorlois was traditionally assigned Argent three Cornish Choughs Sable beaked and taloned Gules 2,1. The arms used in KAP were modified from those of King Mark.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 4.24.24 PM.png

• Like 1

jeffjerwin, thanks for the images and info.

I went with the red dragon as the legends state that it was the one that symbolized Aurelius in the story of Vortigern's tower. 

I'll probably have Aurelius use all of the shields, much like how Arthur has several coats of arms, denoting his various titles. 

So he'll start with Macsen's arms, the Double headed eagle displayed sable will be what he carries. (although that seems more Holy Roman Empire than Rome).

The Three crows he'll pick up after being made high King.

He'll adopt the Red Dragon after hearing of the story of Vortigern's tower and defeating Vortigern. Possible right before he sends for Merlin to move the Giant's Dance.

I'll have to dig of the arms for King of Logres too. 

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

So he'll start with Macsen's arms, the Double headed eagle displayed sable will be what he carries. (although that seems more Holy Roman Empire than Rome).

As arms of the Holy Roman Emperor, these arms were retroactively assigned to Classical emperors (and to Constantine the Great). At some point the Julio-Claudians were assigned personal arms (the medieval heralds loved anachronisms like this) but they all feature the eagle, the undifferenced one being supposedly Julius Caesar's personal coat. The coat of arms of Aeneas is often shown as a variant of the Hapsburg coat in the early renaissance because that family claimed unbroken descent from him (Or a lion rampant Gules). Brutus is assigned the three gold crowns on blue, in bend, sometimes impaled with Pandrasus (Gules a double-headed eagle Or - for Greece/Byzantium).

There are a bunch of attributed arms from the HRB tradition here: http://wappenwiki.org/index.php/Edward_IV_Roll

5 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

There are a bunch of attributed arms from the HRB tradition here: http://wappenwiki.org/index.php/Edward_IV_Roll

Ooohhh, interesting. I can find a use for some of those.

In case I didn't mention it before, I print up minis on cardstock that we use when gaming. We use some stock figures for generic knights, Saxons, etc. but digitally customize figures for the PKS and significant NPKs. With Heraldry starting to appear, I can start to put some unlabeled minis out there and see if the PKS can recognize them by their shields. 

So something like the following for Aurelius for now:

image.png.22a3cadb50cdea0754358a990e948ac9.png

• Like 1