Battle: Dead Unit Leader: what now?

If during a Battle the PCs' Unit Leader dies (or is unhorsed and lost in the fray of battle) what happens?

Is the Unit destroyed or disbanded if nobody takes command?

Can anyone do any roll to take command?

I was thinking about the "Rally" action (Book od Battle 2nd ed. p.79), but since it requires a value of Glory/1000, the chances of getting command is not very high for starting PCs (which are off course not supposed to be leaders, given their age and inexperience....but sometimes passions may help, I guess).

What if a "deputy commander" was appointed before the battle? No need for a roll?

Edited by Luca Cherstich

1 hour ago, Luca Cherstich said:

What if a "deputy commander" was appointed before the battle? No need for a roll?

This should be the default, I think. At least my players usually make sure that the chain of command is clear. Another thing to remember is that the eschilles usually have years of experience training/fighting together. It seems unlikely to me that it would suddenly fall apart just because the leader dies.

Now if it is an ad hoc mercenary eschille which just got together before the battle, or one where there are internal rivalries (thus two knights or more who are contesting the command), then I can see things going pear-shaped in a hurry.

The final thing is that the battle round is what half an hour to an hour? I doubt the confusion would last that long. But I could see the eschille being disorganized if there is no clear 2nd in command (maybe the designated 2nd dropped too?).

• Like 1

If it is a unit, then someone else takes over. This could (and probably should) be someone decided upon before the battle but it could also be done ad hoc based upon glory, battle skill or just gumption. The unit doesn't just fall apart-although they might have their morale affected, or even be inspired to seek revenge.

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cornelius said:

highest glory.

The highest glory, the highest status, the highest battle skill... Usually, there is a clear successor. BUT, from a narrative perspective, it could be fun that the leader (sir Elar for example) fell and one of the PKs have to impose himself quickly in the middle of the battleground... Could be fun!

On 3/17/2020 at 4:27 AM, Tizun Thane said:

The highest glory, the highest status, the highest battle skill... Usually, there is a clear successor. BUT, from a narrative perspective, it could be fun that the leader (sir Elar for example) fell and one of the PKs have to impose himself quickly in the middle of the battleground... Could be fun!

Could be fun, but it also could be a disaster if you are using the Book of Battle. In BoB the options available to the unit commander and his group are based upon the results of an opposed Battle skill roll. SO an unskilled commander would result in the group not having many options and either standing their group against two units, or worse. Good chance of a TPK, and we all know how much fun those are.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.