Question about Allied Spirits in combat

Gallowglass

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Yes, it is a challenge. It is also incredibly boring to roll, especially when the PCs are wearing reasonable armour. Trollkin using slings doing 1D8 damage need to roll an 8 to get through good armour, unless they critical or impale.I normally hate rolling D100 and damage at the same time, but with 20 Trollkin slinging, I would roll 1D20 and Damage at the same time and just ignore low normal hits. We normally divide targets up according to numbers, so 5 PCs and 20 Trollkin means 4 attacks on each per go, probably twice per round.

Personaly I would create a "trollkin aggregate" in this case :

depending of troll master strategy (focus on 1 pc or split between all) create a/ few opponent with same skill / speed than trollkin but health is [health trollkin] * [nb trollkin] and dammage is [D8+ nb trollkins]. Each time dammage against the opponent take [health trollkin] reduce the opponent's dammage until 50% of loss then fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

7 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Scorpion men are a doddle. Parry their weapon with a shield, and their stinger with a sword. Once the stinger is gone, you are on an even footing.

An interesting tactic that none of my players have ever employed.  Scorpion men are generally dumb (low int), so I can totally see them failing to react by just withholding the sting attack and making a single weapon attack each turn until the PC gets out of his defensive huddle.  They also tend to lack magic, so tend to lack a lot of options -- some some nice chaos features might give the strategy a very big problem, but again, only so many Scorpion men actually have a (beneficial) feature.  

On the other hand, they could easily all be sporting two handed weapons.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soltakss said:

Yes, it is a challenge. It is also incredibly boring to roll, especially when the PCs are wearing reasonable armour. Trollkin using slings doing 1D8 damage need to roll an 8 to get through good armour, unless they critical or impale.I normally hate rolling D100 and damage at the same time, but with 20 Trollkin slinging, I would roll 1D20 and Damage at the same time and just ignore low normal hits. We normally divide targets up according to numbers, so 5 PCs and 20 Trollkin means 4 attacks on each per go, probably twice per round.

Quite!  A different challenge though.

I dont think I'd roll all the dice - with 30% skill and 80 sling bullets, the players could expect 24 hits a round; 1 of these would be a special and  we could expect 1 critical every third round. If the party was 4 strong that would be 6 hits each.

After 10 minutes or so the Trolkin may get a bit tired so thier rate of fire might drop off to 1 shot per round, so only 40 incoming... halfing the above!

On 3/31/2020 at 4:04 AM, PhilHibbs said:

I always thought that an allied spirit's physical form being destroyed was a big deal. And I don't recall "dominant possession" being a common allied spirit power.

Waha Priests and Khans have their allied spirit bound into their mount, and if it dies, they have to bind it into an object subsequently according to the RQ:GoG Preview Edition.  As you say, there is no mention of dominant possession powers for most allied spirits.

Edited by Darius West