Supporting characters during chargen

Nevermet

I'm trying to figure out how supporting characters during chargen.

For most sorts, I'm fine with them being a single point, and I'd even be ok with contacts as one of the 5 breakout abilities, assuming they're related to occupation.

I'm less sure what to do with companions.  Do they also just cost 1 point? 2 points?  I've read HQG several times, and I cant find a clear rule.

• Like 1

It is a lot for a point. They are also a great flaw to use against the player. :D Not saying that's happened to me! They are not going to be useful in all situations and most likely simply be used as augments most of the time. You can also start them out with lower point options or fewer points available to bump their keywords and abilities up. Mostly though, in all our games I've never seen them act as something that unbalances game play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Inactive account.

I treat supporting characters as a Keyword with Breakouts for important skills.abilities. so, I just use the rules for gaining a new Keyword, whatever they are.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

In initial character creation, they cost 1 point and come with 3 breakouts with set values. You get extra points to bump those ratings up if you please.

If your Sidekick dies, you can replace them for free.

If you want to add a Sidekick later, I'd go with Simon's tip: charge the PC for a new keyword. I'd still give the Sidekick the breakouts and points to improve them, though.

Like Peggy said, Sidekicks are great RP hooks. They're people, after all, and probably have baggage of their own that the PC has to help carry now. 

It's also fun to play a PC's SK as the GM, or even let another PC play them. You still have to obey the PCs instructions, but you can have a lot of fun putting the SK's personality into the execution of those instructions!

The whole Sidekick and Follower mechanism is one of my favorite things about HQ/QW. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks

One of my players i the Caravan Calamity game has been playing a Skald who was travelling with the caravan.

As I made the characters, I'm letting them edit them now that we have a scenario done and they now have a handle on the rules.

The result: she wants an intelligent musical instrument that feeds off the psychic energy of crowds.

The game is gonna get gonzo in the best possible ways.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Nevermet said:

The result: she wants an intelligent musical instrument that feeds off the psychic energy of crowds.

The game is gonna get gonzo in the best possible ways.

THIS is why QuestWorlds is going to be such a great ruleset and HeroQuest already is. There's literally NOTHING players can throw at a GM that can't be handled by some application of the basic rules. That makes for some FUN games, and fun is what it's all about, IMO!

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, Nevermet said:

I love this idea! I'm working on a spirit charm (my shaman to be took the hand from her corpse...kinda long story and bent the fingers in a rude gesture before preserving it) that can hold multiple small spirits, one per digit. But, if the time is right she can release them all and make a big spirit. Like Voltron for death spirits or ghosts... Just trying to tweak to the GM's desire so he okays it. I mean, I am sure he will...his back doesn't like sleeping on the couch. :D

• Haha 2

Inactive account.