Timeline of Old Britain

1 hour ago, hkokko said:

Where would I find as detailed as possible (many events per year) yearly timeline of history in britain and nearby regions plus maybe Levant between years 400-510 or so. Would like to build background generator....

In game, the Book of Sires is probably your best source, although it doesn't ge into year by year detail until 439, it does note major events prior to that. Wikipedia isn't all that bad for a year by year synopsis either.

If it helps I did up a set family history tables that cover 410-439, based upon something Khanwulf sent me sometime back. There are a few errors on the table, it's customized for my campaign,  and it's not in Book of Sires format, but it's something. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

49 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

In game, the Book of Sires is probably your best source, although it doesn't ge into year by year detail until 439, it does note major events prior to that. Wikipedia isn't all that bad for a year by year synopsis either.

If it helps I did up a set family history tables that cover 410-439, based upon something Khanwulf sent me sometime back. There are a few errors on the table, it's customized for my campaign,  and it's not in Book of Sires format, but it's something. 

Will get the book of Sires. Would be interested in the family tables you mentioned

5 minutes ago, hkokko said:

Will get the book of Sires. Would be interested in the family tables you mentioned

Okay PM me an email and I'll dig it up. You'll need to go over them and probably correct a few things but at least it will give you something to work with.

24 minutes ago, hkokko said:

Is there anything similar tumelines for Levant / Mediterranean of the period

Only a very brief treatment in the Book of Knights & Ladies for characters who want to be adventuring in Britain from there. If you want to be a Byzantine, Italian, etc., there's a short table that lists major events so you can use them for "Previous Experience" and inherited Glory and such. But even there it usually doesn't go further back than the late 400s because it only cares about the stuff that synchs up with the timeline of what's happening in Britain (i.e. the Byzantine one only starts in 476 with Zeno taking power because that's close to the default start date of 485).

Edited by Leingod
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Morien said:

Fortunately, the historical records tend to be better for Eastern Roman Empire than for Britain, so you might be able to find something easily enough online.

Like Atgxtg mentioned, Wikipedia's yearly entries will give you a place to start from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400s_(decade)

This is super find. i did not know of these yearly entries... 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:21 PM, hkokko said:

This is super find. i did not know of these yearly entries... 

I used them a lot of flesh out the Prequel part of my campaign. I noted some of the events (Pelegian Hersey, Decline of the Roman Empire, the Story of Saint Patrick, the  Life of Attila the Hun) and historical figures from those times (General Aetius, Attila the Hun, Germanus of Auxerre, Patricus of Ireland) and found ways to work them into the campaign. It really helped to give structure and narrative flow to the pre-Pendragon phases, especially prior to 439 when the Book of Sires kicks in.

I just managed to reach 480, and, per previous request,  will post a thread about playing through the Book of Sires, in GPC fashion as opposed to using it for Family History. I will try to point out the hurdles I encounter, how I approached some things, what ideas worked, what ideas didn't work, what I would do differently if I were to do it over, and so on. I short, I can't praise the Book of Sires enough. While there are a few errors in it, and I had to alter a few things due to story flow, necessity, or just personal choice, it's invaluable for giving the GM an official timeline and structure to work with. This is a huge help as almost all the events have alternate versions and dates, and Sires wades though that minefield to form a workable timeline. Even when I chose to divert from Sires for some reason,  Sires still gave me something to divert from. It's like a musical solo, it only really works well when there is a solid underlying song to divert from. Without the rest of the song, it just a cool lick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1