Gloranthan Underwear

soltakss

On 8/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, Jeff said:

Linings, exotic cloth or furs, and brightly dyed cloth or elaborate patterns indicate wealthier clothing.

I remember reading an article about the difficulties of 'historical accuracy' in film and tv - one of the problems being that film and tv, outside of historical documentaries, generally wants costumes that conforms to people modern preconceptions about historical clothing, and some historical realities can be jarring for modern audiences. And one of the difficult aspects that Viking era nobility would like to show of their wealth by having clothing with hard to weave patterns like checks, and in the brightest most vivid dyes they could afford - and to modern audiences it would look like the mighty Viking chief was wearing clown pants. 

Another example for renaissance settings is that to us, pink dresses connote femininity, innocence, just right for your young woman character - but to nobles of the time, it mostly meant you were too poor to afford a decent red. 

I'd actually like to know a bit more about the fashion of Sartar, Esrolia, Tarsh etc. For example, if orange is the 'Air' colour, is it a patriotic choice for Sartarites? Or do the Lunars carefully distinguish between shades of red? And are there particular dyes, and what are their sources?

I'd assume there are some vegetable dyes, but also maybe marine sources from the Holy Country? Beetles, obtained from the Uz? Alchemical sources, perhaps from the West? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecake said:

I remember reading an article about the difficulties of 'historical accuracy' in film and tv - one of the problems being that film and tv, outside of historical documentaries, generally wants costumes that conforms to people modern preconceptions about historical clothing, and some historical realities can be jarring for modern audiences. And one of the difficult aspects that Viking era nobility would like to show of their wealth by having clothing with hard to weave patterns like checks, and in the brightest most vivid dyes they could afford - and to modern audiences it would look like the mighty Viking chief was wearing clown pants. 

Same with the Roman statues and buildings being painted in vivid, "gaudy" colors, for example. (Probably the Greek ones too, but I can't recall a source on that).