Page 5: Chaos Monsters

Friendly 1-1 Cautious 6-8

Bit of a gap

I'd concur on adding two tables:

a table for RANGE

Terrain:close:medium:long

a table for REACTION

Encountered:Friendly:Cautious:Hostile

Actually -- that table might be expanded with the #encountered and the perception/stealth skill values. That would leave the sections "Types of Terrain" and "Encounter Types" as just descriptive text.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
Added Chaos Monsters paragraphs

17 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Page 4: MARSH

Close 1-7 Medium 7-16

Bit of an overlap, no?

Page 5: Chaos Monsters

Friendly 1-1 Cautious 6-8

Bit of a gap

Thanks, that's going to be corrected in the forthcoming v1.02 file.

Done !  Don't forget that you can download the updated versions of a file form your DrivetrthuRPG library.

Edited by Manimati
Added : Done !
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Manimati said:

Done !  Don't forget that you can download the updated versions of a file form your DrivetrthuRPG library.

Ah... Good.

Looks like I guessed right when putting together range and reaction tables in Word (Hmm, wonder what my old Corel PDF Fusion is doing -- adding my four pages to the end of the PDF file and saving /shrinks/ the file down to under 2MB from 24MB (or whatever).

And yes -- I spent about 6 hours yesterday making both tables; got complex when an encounter type had subgroups... I didn't try to format for subgroups of subgroups (wild animals: general|Dinos|Bugs: individual species).

2 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

And yes -- I spent about 6 hours yesterday making both tables; got complex when an encounter type had subgroups... I didn't try to format for subgroups of subgroups (wild animals: general|Dinos|Bugs: individual species).

That's why I chose to stay with the paragraph format in the published file. I had been trying out many different options but it tuned out to be less than ideal, especially from the point of view of layout, and since it is a rather small format, I think that it stays manageable this way. Again, thanks for your input and your interest.

Edited by Manimati

23 hours ago, Manimati said:

That's why I chose to stay with the paragraph format in the published file. I had been trying out many different options but it tuned out to be less than ideal, especially from the point of view of layout, and since it is a rather small format, I think that it stays manageable this way. Again, thanks for your input and your interest.

I could probably have managed the 3-level grouping (mentioned previously) IF I hadn't put the #encountered/perception%/stealth% in the same table. Granted, I laid out the table in portrait orientation, as all the other tables for RQ seem to placed. If I'd started with the page format landscape, I'd have used more pages, but had the width to do the deep-dive groups.

Between Word's "split cell" and "merge cells" it was possible to have common values span rows, while still having entity specific data. Word even took into account if there was a row split in a prior column and offered that as the choice for how to split the current.

I'm using my copy tonight -  it's well worth it- but Errata: 

Where it says "Sakkars (RQB p. 143):" on p.9 of the PDF, that doesn't match RQB:  Sakkars might better be labeled saber-toothed cats, and that is on p.158.

It also says on the same page, "Pig dog (RQB p. 143)" but p.143 is crocodiles and deer, while pig dog is on p.152 of RQB.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Close Encounters of the Sartar Kind has now reached Silver seller status on DrivetruRPG.

Thanks to all who bought it !

I sincerely hope that these random encounter tables have helped you GMing more enjoyable games.

846268486_Closeencounterfront2.jpg.ae4ef0cf6dfbdccac4e059fe84804360.jpg    MetalBestSeller-Silver.png.0595701a03725cd3ade1b36609a48f2b.png

What now ? 

I am now working on a table of pre-generated spirits using the info from the Runequest Gloranthan Bestiary p. 164.

For the time being  an entry in the table looks like this (there are 600 different entries generated by a python program):

-------  1 - 63  -------   
POW= 14,  CHA= 8, INT= 17, spirit cbt= 89 %, spirit cbt dmg= 1D6,  
Power:  -     Runes: Stasis
Spells: Darkwall-2, Spirit Screen-2

I'm thinking of adding a line for appearance (for exemple: "Shimmering man-rabbit hybrid").

• Like 4

I'd like to  have - or to make - one for troll country.  Whether it's the shadow plateau or near Skyfall Lake or in Balazar -  I have to think for a while about the Uz, they are not necessarily hostile, they have villages you can stumble on,  they have their own concerns and politics, need to think about their activities by type, environment, maybe season, and how they interact with humans. 

I find the two choices in Griffin Mountain to be thin for a place where trolls greatly outnumber humans.  (Not bitching, it's a very big campaign book.)

And Trollpack's are pretty scenario specific, and my source for Uz culture.   Much greater variety.  But I'm pretty sure I don't have the inspired characterization of Trollpack's authors - both now passed away. 

5 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I'd like to  have - or to make - one for troll country. 

One of the terrain type used in Close Encounters of the Sartar Kind is "Uz land" with the following description "Uz land: Sartar is surrounded by many Uz lands like the Troll Woods, East of Whitewall or Dagori Inkarth, North of Sartar." This sub-table might fit your needs.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:29 AM, Manimati said:

One of the terrain type used in Close Encounters of the Sartar Kind is "Uz land" with the following description "Uz land: Sartar is surrounded by many Uz lands like the Troll Woods, East of Whitewall or Dagori Inkarth, North of Sartar." This sub-table might fit your needs.

True, it is.  And some situations i was thinking about are actually in there too, for example I can roll "caravan" and then in that caravan description a troll caravan is included. 

• Like 1