Scenario to Read

Lloyd Dupont

As I work on my scifi settings, and as I also am a player in what is a D&D group at the moment (though the current GM is looking forward to me GM again, this time my work in progress Master of Orion based settings) I wonder...

I believe that fights provide an easy and pleasurable moment of excitement in RPG...
However, while I plan to have some space battle and space ship boarding, most of the time fighting will clearly be better avoided... (in fact, one might be better off avoiding space battle too, if they could), because scifi weapon are meant to be quite even deadlier than even modern ones...

Not thinking I am a best GM myself.. I am looking for suggestion about the best scifi scenario to read for inspiration! :)
Please, suggest some that are also an easy read as well.... It's hard to comprehend what is fun about an adventure when it comes as 192 pages booklet....

and also avoid topic like "ancient mystery" .. or "mysterious alien race".. not really my vibe... (even though, yeah there are some ancient Orion ruins, actually I need to give some thoughts to those... ^_^

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

7 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Not thinking I am a best GM myself.. I am looking for suggestion about the best scifi scenario to read for inspiration! :)
Please, suggest some that are also an easy read as well.... It's hard to comprehend what is fun about an adventure when it comes as 192 pages booklet....

Read Eye by my fave sci fi dude, Frank Herbert, it is a great collection of low combat thinking sci fi  by one of my fave authors. Good for sociological sci fi puzzles. Always loved the Word for World is Forest by Ursula K LeGuin for some on planet-side sci-fi guerrilla warfare Viet Nam style—with aliens. Aliens anyone, any of them... what the f#! number are they at now...) easy on the head and eyes hard on the heart!  Great lines... Not a book but easy.to grasp the fun and you can play CoC in space! Any Niven Known Space book the short stories are great..., but especially Ring World. Can I play a Kzin? Please?

• Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Thanks Bill gotta check that out! :)

As for the races, while I do plan to add a few "minor race", basically "primitive race" that don't even have spaceships (My first one is well known as mindflyer or illithid! :P ) it will be mostly limited to those:

https://masteroforion.gamepedia.com/Races

And in my booklet one can play, for now, Bulrathi, Elerian, Gnolam, Human, Mrrshan, Psilon

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

2 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

As for the races, while I do plan to add a few "minor race", basically "primitive race" that don't even have spaceship (My first one is well known as mindflyer or illithid! :P ) it will be mostly limited to those:

Would an incredibly intelligent and manipulative coward that looked like this do in place of a mind flayer... Let me introduce you to a Pierson's Puppeteer from Niven’s Known Space. Oh well. come on PP he don’t want ya neither... it's back to grid hex 124,593,346,172 on Ring World for you.

image.png.22d97c47598561a772bfec77a4d4ac54.png

• Haha 1

Mmm... after some googling.. those seems to be a major race where they came from, hahah...

While I do not find that race very appealing or believable, I was impressed and pleased by the large amount of alien psychology on puppeteer I could find on Wikipedia! 😮 
Almost to the point of making them an actor in this space fantasy! 😮 

Although.. their Wikipedia history story wouldn't merge very with the multual MoO conflicts.. unless they are outsider, or if it in their early time....

10 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

... While I do not find that race very appealing or believable ...

As an RPG-adventurer race... no, they really are NOT very appealing!

But in terms of alien physiology & psychology... they seem entirely believable to me.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/2/2020 at 6:58 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

True on both counts in my opinion.

Which leads us to the infamous Hivers from Traveller.  A not-so-veiled allusion to the Puppeteers.  Never could let a player run one as a PC without derailing the action.

!i!

• Haha 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

6 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Which leads us to the infamous Hivers from Traveller.  A not-so-veiled allusion to the Puppeteers.  Never could let a player run one as a PC without derailing the action.

A lot of my smarter and cooler friends were playing Traveller. Never got around to it myself, alas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

A lot of my smarter and cooler friends were playing Traveller.

My players leaned heavily into Douglas Adams rather than Niven or Poul Anderson, and I was on a deep dive into Robert Anton Wilson, so I wouldn't characterise it as a hard-science love-fest.  Crazy fun, though.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

2 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

I was on a deep dive into Robert Anton Wilson, so I wouldn't characterise it as a hard-science love-fest. 

If you squint, and use yer imagination really hard, RAW might qualify as hard Sci Fi! <fnord>

3 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Crazy fun, though.

Crazy fun? Sounds good enough for me!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Crazy fun? Sounds good enough for me!

Someday I'm going to have to chronicle the adventures across the Spinward Marches of Sirs Claudius Greystoke and Victor Harahami, Basic Mix, and Firgn Ghaghrhakh in the sleek interstellar yacht The Phalange.

!i!