Slow Aging and Immortality

NoblePrimus

So my group has been playing RPGs for years and we recently found that we would like a system that was more universal and would prefer skill based system. I found the BRP system and it looks like it could fit the bill. To make sure it can do what I hope it can I was looking in to making my character and some of the other players as tests however I can't seem to figure out how to do shapeshifters, specifically a werewolf. I found alternate form but my character as well as other player have a longer life one is immortal. Is there a power that covers slow aging or immortality or is this more of a story item and not a power?

I would say that's mainly a story/plot point than anything that's going to have a lot of mechanical effect  within a typical session.

I guess it could come into play during  character creation;  if your starting character is  200+ years old, she's going to have a helluva lot of  points to distribute among skills. 

16 hours ago, NoblePrimus said:

Is there a power that covers slow aging or immortality or is this more of a story item and not a power?

• There are several ways of doing this:
  • Adjust the aging threshold from 40 to 400, or whatever
  • Adjust the frequency of aging rolls from annually to every 5 or 10 years, to age more slowly
  • Just don't have aging rolls and assume the character does not age
16 hours ago, NoblePrimus said:

I can't seem to figure out how to do shapeshifters, specifically a werewolf.

There are werewolf stats on p 350 of the 2012 edition of Basic Roleplaying.

Alternate Form (p149) works as well. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:
  • There are several ways of doing this:
  • Adjust the aging threshold from 40 to 400, or whatever
  • Adjust the frequency of aging rolls from annually to every 5 or 10 years, to age more slowly
  • Just don't have aging rolls and assume the character does not age

There are werewolf stats on p 350 of the 2012 edition of Basic Roleplaying.

Alternate Form (p149) works as well. 

As soltakss say. It's fairly easy to do. The question is how are character created? Are you creating characters on a point budget? If so buying Alternate Form is probably the way to go. However, BRP is not strickly a point buy system and usually people will pick a race/culture/profession and get whatever comes with it. You when a werewolf? Pick the werewolf template, roll your characteristics (or assign them on a budget) take the traits that come with it (positive and negative) and skills and so on. Something in the template doesn't fit your vision? A gm/player discussion resolves it.

Immortality/slow aging is a good example of this. You can assign a mechanic to it, as per the examples quoted, or you can had the trait "immortal" or "slow aging" on the sheet. Should it cost something? Maybe, probably not. If everyone is immortal in the group, it becomes a campaign dial more than anything else.

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

... of the 2012 edition of Basic Roleplaying.

Of the 2012 edition? Even my fresh PDF from 2020 tells me the BGB was published in May 2008. Was there another edition that I missed?

22 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Of the 2012 edition? Even my fresh PDF from 2020 tells me the BGB was published in May 2008. Was there another edition that I missed?

My PDF is dated 2012, perhaps it came out earlier.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here